Role and Responsibilities
To effectively manage a EuropeAid-funded food security project in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget laid down in the proposal. Liaise with Mission East (partner organisation) Project Manager on project delivery. Manage and train Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) working on the project. Ensure that beneficiary participation is enhanced in all phases of the project.
Food security project to build livelihoods and resilience of families in Central Highlands (CHL). Working with a number of communities – men and women – overseeing community development plans, farmer training, practical demonstration, kitchen gardens and nutrition training and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) activities, plus livelihoods support. Work with a wide range of stakeholders in the food security and agriculture sectors in the area to get their input and involvement in the programme.
Central Highlands, Afghanistan
Initial Contract Details
Full time, 2 years
Key Activity Areas
- Design detailed project activities, including community engagement plans, farmer training design with technical input, stakeholder engagement and a broad variety of other project activities to ensure the successful delivery of the programme.
- Update, plan, schedule and supervise project activities.
- Oversight – including implementation of assigned Food Security project within budget and the agreed timeframe.
- Oversee job descriptions, recruitment, appraisal, management of project staff.
- Identify training needs, and supervise the technical training of all National staff members in consultation with the Projects Coordinator and Programme Support Manager.
- Manage spending on the project within the approved budget.
- Analyse monthly BvAs and give prompt feedback.
- In consultation with PC, liaise with local government officials, and other NGOs, to improve the planning and coordination of the project.
- Higher level degree in a relevant subject such as agriculture, or engineering
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification experience in a project management position
- 1 year of overseas work experience in relief work with an NGO, having worked preferably in a food aid context an asset
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of humanitarian / emergency programmes
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols desirable
- Good report and proposal writing skills
- Diplomacy in dealing with government officials
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills
- Flexible to changing plans and activities on a daily basis
- Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field