Deputy Chief Executive Officer (DCEO)
Millennium Challenge Account – Malawi (MCA-Malawi)
The Government of Malawi is establishing the Millennium Challenge Account – Malawi (MCA-Malawi) to oversee, manage, and implement multiple projects aimed at stimulating economic growth and reducing poverty in Malawi. These projects are funded by the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC), a U.S. government agency focused on assisting countries dedicated to good governance, economic freedom, and investments in people.
Countries that meet MCC’s rigorous selection criteria and propose an economically sound program that specifically addresses the country’s key growth constraints may enter into a Millennium Challenge Compact with MCC. In April 2011, MCC agreed to a $350.7 million Compact focused on revitalizing the electrical power sector in Malawi.
MCA-Malawi is currently seeking a Deputy Chief Executive Officer (DCEO) to effectively lead and manage a large staff throughout the implementation of the Compact program, which will run for five (5) years after entry into force (expected to occur early 2013).
Assignment and Background Information
The Deputy Chief Executive Officer will be a hands-on manager who can quickly grasp a complex operating environment and is experienced in managing a large team of technical, administrative, finance, and support staff under fast-paced, highly demanding circumstances.
- Lead, coordinate, and manage the day-to-day administrative and project management functions of MCA-Malawi, including, financial management, procurement, legal affairs, monitoring and evaluation (M&E), communications and public outreach, as well as engineering and project implementation, environmental and social performance, and social and gender integration.
- Coordinate, oversee and manage the development of MCA-Malawi’s implementation plans, including work plans, financial plans, procurement plans, and monitoring and evaluation (M&E) plans, as well as the preparation of regular progress reports and updates that MCA-Malawi must submit to the Board of Trustees and to MCC.
- Directly supervise and manage MCA-Malawi’s key staff to ensure they coordinate effectively; exchange relevant information; properly identify and manage risks; and comply with MCC’s requirements, standards, policies and guidelines; and incorporate good practices and lessons learned into their work.
- Provide leadership in the development, implementation and enforcement of appropriate policies and procedures, as needed to ensure the successful implementation of Compact projects and activities and the proper functioning of MCA-Malawi.
- Identify issues related to the dissemination of critical information, the commitment of resources, and the timely completion of tasks and communicate them to the CEO to be raised with associated Government entities
- Take steps to ensure continuous improvements in the efficiency and effectiveness of MCA-Malawi’s operations. Use appropriate information, including monitoring and evaluation (M&E) data, to develop and refine recommendations, mid-course corrections, and lessons learned.
- Provide strategic advice to the CEO on the implementation of the Compact program, the operations of MCA-Malawi, and the motivation and retention of staff, among other issues.
- Ensure that MCA-Malawi’s day-to-day operations are in full compliance with MCC’s requirements, standards, policies and guidelines and the requirements of local laws and regulations.
- Act as officer-in-charge in the absence of the CEO.
- From time to time, represent MCA-Malawi in meetings with Government officials and other donors and in public forums.
- Other tasks and responsibilities as requested by the CEO.
- University degree in law, public administration, business administration, management, finance or economics, engineering, communications, or a related professional field.
- Demonstrated experience in the successful implementation of programs and projects involving donor assistance and international procurement or competitive bidding rules.
- Approximately twelve (12) or more years of relevant operational experience in a senior management position in a government agency or private organization that handles fast-paced, complex and multi-disciplinary business processes. [Candidates with a Master’s degree or equivalent advanced degree may be considered with approximately ten (10) years of such experience.]
- Demonstrated experience and proven management skills in managing a department or unit with a staff of approximately fifteen (15) personnel.
- Strong capacity for building and maintaining productive relationships with a range of actors, including national and local Government officials, civil society organizations, and international donors.
- Familiarity with Government of Malawi financial management systems and/or international donor project management systems is a plus.
- Strong computer skills in email, word processing, spreadsheets, and the Internet. Experience and familiarity with MS Project, Primavera or other project management software and with Management Information Systems is preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
MCA-Malawi offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
For more information about MCA-Malawi, please visit: http://www.mca-m.gov.mw/index.php/home
Submissions will be accepted through 12:00AM Malawi time on Friday, November 16, 2012:
Your submission should include the following as three separate documents:
- A cover letter highlighting your background and experience as they relate to the required qualifications. Please include dollar size of programs managed, number of personnel managed, experience working with high-level government officials, and experience with electric utility or energy sector programs;
- A resume describing your qualifications as they best describe your experience related to the job for which you are applying;
- Three professional references, with at least one being a former supervisor. Please include their complete and current contact information, including name, current title, their relationship with you, and also their phone number and email address;
- Your salary history for the past three years (by year) and your salary requirements. Please note, for selected candidates salary verification will be conducted.
You can submit these documents following one of the following methods:
- Via fax: +1.703.996.3379
- Via email: email@example.com
Please include the following subject line in your submission: MCA-Malawi DCEO_Last Name, First Name
Please send additional questions to the email address listed above.
Deloitte Consulting LLP is serving as a recruiting agent for this position and will contact qualified candidates on behalf of MCA-Malawi.