Director, Strategy and Program Innovation
Strategy & Impact – Washington DC
VP, Strategy & Impact
EngenderHealth is a leading global women’s health organization committed to ensuring that every pregnancy is planned, every child is wanted, and every mother has the best chance at survival. In 20 countries around the world, we train health care professionals and partner with governments and communities to make high-quality family planning and sexual and reproductive health services available—today and for generations to come.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of people like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career. This role will provide leadership to establish strategic vision, long-range goals, strategies, operating plans, and policies to meet specific programming and organizational objectives.
The Director, Strategy and Program Innovation will provide guidance to projects and partners in areas of SRH and maternal health; support development of project strategy and design; lead specific project objectives; and represent projects internally, to donors, and other stakeholders as necessary. The Director will also lead Global Technical and Clinical staff in special initiatives to foster and cultivate innovative program approaches in our work.
The role of the Director of Strategy and Program Innovation focuses on 3 main areas of activity: Program Innovation and Strategy, Business Development and Advocacy/Representation. These responsibilities include and are not limited to:
- Develop and lead project design and innovation in the areas of sexual/reproductive health (SRH) and maternal health (MH) at EngenderHealth in line with organizational vision and strategy
- Be an expert on the NGO diverse brand landscape and not-for-profit world
- Leverage strong knowledge of NGO’s to educate cross functional team members so they can develop and execute strategies will create innovative solutions
- Lead strategic thinking. Establish key issues, objectives, strategies and tactics as well as develop multi-year growth strategies and innovation vision for EngenderHealth, being mindful of macro trends impacting our client needs, geographic and cultural trends and the general NGO funding environment
- Plan, organize, and conduct regular capacity-building activities on critical thinking, innovation and design for EngenderHealth and partner staff
- Manage implementation of new and innovative approaches, including reporting and maintaining relationships with funding agencies
- Collaborate with global and country programs to identify, track, and assess innovative approaches
- Participate in relevant conferences and meetings to represent work done by EngenderHealth.
Business Development (40%):
In close collaboration with the Business Development team:
- Serve as the technical lead for the design of major proposal bids and funding opportunities
- Provide technical consultation on project design, implementation, and analysis
- Develop and advance relationships with key donors and donor, with input and guidance from Business Development colleagues
- Draw on NGO and not-for-profit world knowledge to make recommendations to further the business
- Gather intelligence regarding funding opportunities and advance EH interests relative to SRH and MH, by participating in USAID and other donor working groups as necessary
- Represent EngenderHealth at D.C. based events that are critical for business development.
In collaboration with programmatic and technical experts across EH:
- Cultivate, develop, and strengthen relationships with US policy-makers who are critical to influencing SRH and MH policies
- Track key developments in the US and global policy environment, including ongoing assessment of Congressional and Administrative actions, relative to SRH and MH
- Participate in and lead coalitions and working groups with relevant US stakeholders, such as NGOs, think tanks, and educational and research organizations to further EH’s policy priorities including identifying, cultivating, and establishing new partnerships
- Provide support to increase country programs and local staff knowledge, understanding, and influence of US and global policies and processes.
Any other duties as assigned.
- Passionate about EngenderHealth’s mission
- Must have flexibility and ability to multitask and manage several different projects while respecting deadlines
- Demonstrated ability working in a complex multicultural team environment and partnering with peers to develop and implement against goals
- Current knowledge of trends in sexual/reproductive health, maternal health and global health issues
- Proven success in prior innovation focused roles within global organizations
- Proven success in responding to RFPs/RFAs by leading proposal development in relevant fields
- Demonstrate comfort with ambiguity and risk
- Strong analytical skills, with demonstrated ability to develop unique partnership models that create value for EngenderHealth and our partners
- Ability to lead by influence, build relationships and demonstrate cross-functional skills
- Ability to successfully represent the organization to its internal and external audiences in a variety of settings, effectively communicating complex concepts and ideas in an engaging, simple manner
- Great marketer with ability to lead creative development and execution
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Resourceful self-starter with an independent attitude and focus on excellence
- Effective networker with proven success managing relationships and engaging with donors
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomatic and organizational skills
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed
- Advanced degree in public health, public administration or related field required
- A minimum of fifteen years of experience including ten years’ experience in global health projects, related to SRH and/or Maternal Health, health systems strengthening, service delivery or related fields.
- Proficiency in English required.
- French language skills strongly preferred
- Experience living and/or working in a country where EngenderHealth has activities is preferred
- Experience in public speaking and technical representation at a global level
- Leadership and managerial experience required: strategic planning, team management, mentoring, partnering and conflict resolution.
EngenderHealth complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.