Open until filled
CAWST is a Canadian non-profit organization focused on the principle that clean water changes lives. Safe water and basic sanitation are fundamentals necessary to empower the world’s poorest people and break the cycle of poverty. CAWST believes that the place to start is to teach people the skills they need to have safe water in their homes. CAWST transfers knowledge and skills to organizations and individuals in developing countries through education, training and consulting services. This ever-expanding network can motivate individual households to take action to meet their own water and sanitation needs. Since 2001, CAWST’s client network has helped 7.5 million people get better water or sanitation.
Our vision is a world where people have the opportunity to succeed because their basic water and sanitation needs have been met.
Our mission is to provide technical training and consulting, and to act as a centre of expertise in water and sanitation for the poor in developing countries.
CAWST values equitable opportunities, sustainable solutions and collaborative and inclusive processes. We recognise and accept differences in cultural, religious and political processes.
|Position||International Education and Training Advisor|
|Reports to||Director, Education Program Development|
|Start Date||To be determined|
The International Education and Training Advisor is responsible for building the capacity of CAWST staff, partner organization staff and client trainers in effective facilitation skills. Another key aspect of the position is to support partners and clients in CAWST’s education program development process, to customize and develop their own education and training materials. This position will also help to develop and improve CAWST’s suite of education and training materials on water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH). This is a demanding role that requires a creative, motivated, and enthusiastic individual who wants to contribute to building the capacity of WASH educators globally.
International travel will be approximately 3-4 trips per year, up to 50% of the time. The position is based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
1. Build Capacity of Trainers
- Increase capacity of CAWST staff, partner organization staff and client trainers to effectively deliver workshops, exchange information, and communicate with their target audiences.
- Increase capacity of clients and partners to customize and develop their own education and training materials that take into consideration the local context, gender and the environment.
- Assist with the coordination and facilitation of semi-annual Learning Exchanges to support professional development, knowledge sharing and feedback within CAWST and client networks.
- Manage and supervise staff, contractors and volunteers who assist with capacity building and program development.
- Ensure education theory and technical knowledge of WASH are up-to-date as new information is learned by CAWST.
2. Education Program Development
- Support the development and improvement of CAWST’s education and training materials related to water, sanitation and hygiene.
- Develop customized training materials for clients, as required.
3. Operations Planning & Reporting
- Develop and execute strategies and plans to develop strong centres of expertise in WASH through partnership with local organizations.
- Understand and contribute as appropriate to CAWST’s operations and business services cycle (e.g. monthly operations reports, budget reconciliations, timesheets, and trip reports)
4. Business Development
- Create demand for our services through active outreach to clients and partners.
- Interface and sustain credibility with partners, clients and potential clients to promote CAWST’s credibility and services.
- Assist with proposal writing, fund development, donor reporting and public campaigns, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in education or equivalent with preference given to those with a second degree, diploma or equivalent training in engineering, science, public health, or international aid and development.
- International development and education experience (2-5 years) with focus on at least one of the following areas: capacity building, participatory training, curriculum development, effective facilitation skills, mentoring and coaching.
- Related experience (1-3 years) on water, hygiene and/or sanitation.
- Proficient in Windows-based computer programs (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Preferred experience in information and communication technology (e.g. use of multimedia tools for education and training, video development, webinar delivery).
Skills and Attributes
- Communication: Excellent written and verbal English with the ability to target different and cross-cultural audiences. Build rapport to engage and motivate individuals.
- Training and Facilitation: Create a participatory learning environment and use a range of cross-cultural facilitation methods. Able to coach and mentor others to do the same.
- Team Player: An accomplished professional who can work well both independently and within a team.
- Innovation and Creativity: Create new and interesting concepts or activities, strategic thinking as well as proactive coordinator.
- Able to work in challenging situations internationally in different cultures.
- Organizational: Able to handle multiple tasks and balance priorities with various stakeholders.
- Analytical Capability: Assess opportunities and make recommendations.
- Good Judgement: Be a self-starter and work independently.
- Entrepreneurial: Enjoy working in a dynamic, constantly changing environment. Strategic thinking as well as proactive coordinator and project manager.
- Credible: Able to quickly establish credibility with potential clients and other stakeholders.
- Lifelong Learner: Committed to professional development and sharing new learning with others.
- Languages: Fluent French and / or Spanish an asset (verbal and written)
- Vision and values aligned with CAWST
Will be discussed in personal interview.
Please send your cover letter, resume, and attached questionnaire to cawstHR@cawst.org referencing “IETA” in the email subject line.
Only completed applications will be considered. No calls or emails please - only qualified candidates will be contacted for a personal interview.