IRC is present in Eastern Chad since 2004, providing support to Sudanese refugees (and host communities) in 3 camps located near Hadjer Hadid & Amdjarass town, providing services in the field of Health, Reproductive Health, Nutrition, Water and Sanitation & Education. In addition, IRC has launched a health / nutrition intervention in the Bahr El Gazal region in October 2010 (following a severe drought) and another health program from May 2011 to Nov 2011 in Faya (Borkou region) to support the Chadian migrants coming back to Chad after the war in Libya.
IRC also started to respond in April 2012 to the drought in the Guera Region, central Chad, through a nutrition intervention.
Key donors of the IRC’s programs in Chad include UNHCR, BPRM, ECHO, SV, and a number of private foundations.
SCOPE OF WORK: Under the supervision of IRC Chad’s Deputy Director of Programs, and based in N’djamena, the Nutrition Coordinator will be responsible for the vision, strategy, design, implementation and management of the Nutrition Program in Chad working in collaboration with the senior management team, including a Health Coordinator, and the teams in the field. The Nutrition Coordinator will be based in N’djamena with frequent visits to the 4 field sites.
Coordination and Representation
- Plan and coordinate IRC Chad Nutrition interventions
- Collaborate with other sectors to ensure a holistic approach in line with IRC’s Program Framework principles
- Represent IRC to UN, international and national NGOs, and Ministries of Health, for nutrition topics
- Oversee implementation of grants and management of budgets, including budget forecasting, development of spending plans in cooperation with the Grants Manager
Technical Monitoring and Program Quality
- Provide technical supervision of, and technical support to IRC Nutrition programming activities
- Ensure that nutrition programs utilize standardized protocols, policies and guidelines, as prescribed by the Ministry of Health and WHO.
- Ensure that all nutrition activities are consistent with established best practices
- Oversee the collection and timely reporting of data and statistics for all nutrition programs in line with IRC REL guidelines and according to internal and donor requirements
- Ensure appropriate follow-up and decision-making on data relevant to IRC nutrition programs
- Ensure a good coordination with the Health Coordinator
- Ensure all stakeholders, including IRC Chad Deputy Director Programs (DDP), IRC Chad Health Coordinator, IRC health technical unit, UNHCR, and all donors are provided with updates, following the established reporting structures
- Monitor evolving needs of the target communities and adjust the programmatic priorities as necessary
- In collaboration with the Nutrition Technical Adviser, the Health Coordinator and the DDP, lead the overall development of an overall IRC Nutrition Program strategy in line with IRC Chad Country Strategic Planning
- Identify opportunities for program development
- Lead technical assessments as a basis for nutrition program development
- Coordinate and initiate project proposals and develop program proposals (development of logical frameworks and appropriate, realistic and measurable indicators) for the IRC Chad Nutrition Program under the supervision of the Deputy Director Programs
- Ensure the ongoing capacity building of expatriate, national and refugee health staff through support to direct supervisors in ensuring staff performance evaluations and individual development plans
- Insure appropriate support to the four bases by regular visits, and replacement of staff if needed
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Professional degree preferably at the advanced level (Master) in nutrition
- At least five years of overseas experience, including substantial management experience in nutrition programming
- Previous experience supervising and managing a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural setting, including providing direct and remote technical support.
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building and mentoring of national and international staff.
- Experience conducting assessments, preferably using participatory approaches and /or SMART and SQUEAC surveys
- Ability to write clear and concise reports and proposals and to meet required reporting deadlines
- Able to work independently while being a strong team player
- Competence with Windows, Microsoft Office
- Ability to work in unstable security environments
- Proficient English and French written and spoken required
This is an unaccompanied position.
Please apply online: http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH02/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=IRC&cws=1&rid=8693 .