The purpose of the US Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded Parliamentary Strengthening Program for Haiti (Haiti PSP) is to work collaboratively with the Haitian Parliament to build capacity and support relationship building with constituents.
The Parliamentary Strengthening Specialist will provide project management support to the Program Officer and guidance to the technical team, particularly with regards to reporting and the development of terms of reference. The Specialist will also contribute to the organization and monitoring of training programs to be led by Haitian and international experts in the following areas: legislative research techniques; parliamentary procedure, committee work, ethics and codes of conduct, legislative drafting, and providing technical support to those programs.
- Support the project technical team in the implementation of and reporting on project activities related to the development of a strategic plan for the Parliament, the strengthening of institutional capacity and internal procedures, and improving outreach and communication via traditional and social media;
- Assist, mentor, and advise the Haiti PSP technical team in the following areas:
- Developing clear and concise scopes of work for activities and terms of reference for consultants that are in line with Haiti PSP’s agreement requirements and performance management plan;
- Drafting technical reports on activities in English and French to communicate achievements and challenges to USAID and Parliament, as well as for internal use as required;
- Coordinating activities with other key donors working with the Parliament
- Ensuring women’s participation in all project activities.
- Assist in the design, organization, and implementation of training programs to be implemented in Year 2. As needed, assist in organizing training sessions for members of parliament and staff on research and analysis related to draft legislation.
- Assist the Chief of Party and USAID in communicating project work and successes.
- Assist Parliament in improving its structure and operations – including its internal management system, procedures, and processes – and longer-term institutional development and resource management.
- Maintain day-to-day contact with deputies, committees, Secretariat, and staff.
- Provide project staff with regular updates on new and amended legislation, highlighting their potential impact on citizens, society, and public institutions; work with project staff in incorporating priority civil society concerns into Parliament’s work agendas/legislative processes.
- Assist the Chief of Party and USAID in communicating project work and success.
- University degree from an accredited University in a relevant field such as law, political science, public affairs or government. A relevant advanced degree preferred.
- 3 years of experience as a technical advisor.
- Previous parliamentary program experience.
- Strong interpersonal communication, analytical and writing skills are required.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and French.
Supervisory Responsibilities & Reporting:
The Parliamentary Strengthening Specialist does not supervise any staff. The Parliamentary Strengthening Specialist reports to the Program Officer.
Base of Operations:
The base of operations will be Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
Interested and qualified candidates should apply online at: http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH13/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=DAINC&cws=1&rid=811