CRS has supported Caritas Bangladesh (CB) for years in programs including emergency relief and education. CB has served the most vulnerable in Bangladesh for 45 years. CB, with a budget of US$17 million, has eight Regional Offices, one Area Office and 234 Field Offices with 4,553 staff and 1,619 volunteers. In 2006, the two agencies launched an ambitious multi-year Emergency Response and Preparedness (EPRT) program which greatly increased CRS staff activities in the country. In late 2007, CRS support to Caritas increased significantly and CRS placed a Country Manager in the Caritas Bangladesh office – on the invitation of Caritas Bangladesh, the placement of this person coincided with a significant increase in CRS support for Caritas programs in the wake of severe flooding and cyclone SIDR funding that included significant grants from USAID/OFDA, the Gates Foundation and the USAID Mission in Dhaka. To follow up on the successful response to these disasters, CRS and Caritas are now implementing a three-year Disaster Risk Reduction projects in two field locations, covering over 6000 households and in 16 villages. In addition, CRS and CB also developing food security and education programming; while continuing long-term efforts at Caritas capacity building.
The Bangladesh Program Manager will be based in the main Caritas Bangladesh office in Dhaka, under the supervision of the CRS Country Manager but also under the authority of the Caritas Bangladesh Executive Director. The PM will be responsible for the implementation of OFDA/CRS funded DRR project in the country, working closely with Caritas Bangladesh counterparts while providing support, approval of CRS and USAID expenses, reporting and oversight. PM will also support capacity in existing and any future disasters management or DRR programs and Caritas Bangladesh proposal development, as well as technical assistance as needed.
The PM will report to CRS Country Manager (CM) in Dhaka and will be supported in most of the tasks below by the CM as well as by CRS staff throughout the East and South Asia (ESA) region and the wider world, as needed. The position will require frequent travel (50%) within Bangladesh and occasional travel outside Bangladesh.
- Oversee and directly support the implementation of the OFDA-CRS-funded DRR project in Bangladesh, focused on resilience to lives and livelihoods. Ensure high quality, timely technical progress and financial reporting, reflecting donor requirements and CRS-Caritas standards, through the close collaboration with the Caritas staff directly responsible for project implementation.
- Support field team, especially the M&E staff in maintaining a high quality M&E system for the DRR project.
- Under the guidance of the Country Manager, develop and maintain close working relationship with the Caritas Regional (project implementation level) management, especially the Program and Finance heads and Director of regional office.
- Under the guidance of the Country Manager, develop a learning environment and a team in Caritas Bangladesh to promote and share project learning into other programs of Caritas Bangladesh, especially in CRS supported projects.
- Maintain relationships with key Caritas colleagues at the National level, donor representatives, CRS colleagues in Baltimore and the ESA Region.
- Work closely with the CRS ESA Finance Coordinator-Partner Support officer in budget management and financial reporting.
- Under the guidance of Country Manager, represent CRS in national Government and INGO coordination meetings/clusters, especially related to emergency response and emergency capacity building, Climate Change and DRR.
- Support and coach Caritas Bangladesh colleagues assigned to OFDA- CRS-funded programs, under the guidance of the Country Manager and Caritas Director.
- Ensure high quality programming and accurate financial and programmatic reporting to CRS and external donors.
- Take a leading role in developing and writing project proposals, donor reports, assessment reports and programmatic updates on CRS-supported programs in Bangladesh, especially DRR/Livelihoods and Climate Change areas.
- Participate fully in the response to emergencies in Bangladesh.
- Coordinate and facilitate donor visits to the CRS/Caritas projects.
- Oversee other CRS funds, both private and public, in Bangladesh, and work with Caritas Bangladesh to develop new CRS-funded activities;
- Support training and technical assistance initiatives as requested by Caritas Bangladesh, especially in the areas of Climate Change and DRR and Food Security;
- Support CRS’ private fundraising and outreach work in the US by providing material on CRS’ Bangladesh program, organizing exchange visits, and other forms of collaboration with US Ops and Charitable Giving.
- In consultation with the Country Manager, represent CRS, and our relationship with Caritas Bangladesh, to donors, our US constituency and the U.S. Media;
- Assist in updating security guidelines for CRS staff and visitors in Bangladesh, with the help of other regional staff.
- Coordinate and facilitate visits of CRS staff to Bangladesh, based on the joint identification of needs with Caritas Bangladesh;
- Participate in CRS Regional meetings, review processes, and periodic consultation in Asia and in US;
- Maintain close communication with the Country Manager for all aspects of project management and prior to especially in any management level communication with Caritas Bangladesh.
- Other tasks requested by the Country Manager and/or Caritas Bangladesh Director.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
Program Manager Competencies
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each program manager to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Sets clear goals and manages toward them
- Collaborates effectively with staff and stakeholders
- Manage financial resources with integrity
- Applies program quality standards to project design and organizational learning
- CRS Country Manager;
- CRS Regional Finance Coordinator and Partner Support Officer, based in India
- Caritas Bangladesh senior staff;
- CRS Regional staff and colleagues in other Asia country programs;
- CRS Regional Representative and Public Resource Specialist in Baltimore;
- USAID and OFDA representatives
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- An M.A in International Development or a related field.
- At least three years experience in overseas relief and development.
- Experience in Grant Management and quality programming.
- Commitment to CRS’ and Caritas Bangladesh’s missions.
- Knowledge of Caritas and the role of Catholic Church in relief and development work.
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills.
- Basic financial management and budgeting skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to travel frequently and extensively within Bangladesh, and live in harsh conditions as well as occasionally in the region.
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.