THIS POSITION IS AVAILABLE IN: Afghanistan, the Kyrgyz Republic, and Tajikistan
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Known for its rigorous approach to solving complex challenges, Abt Associates was ranked as one of the top 20 global research firms in 2012 and also named one of the top 40 international development innovators. The company has multiple offices in the U.S. and program offices in nearly 40 countries.
The International Economic Growth Division conducts projects in agriculture, economic development, labor, privatization, environment, and trade. We work in developing countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East. Our clients include the US Agency for International Development (USAID) and multilateral financial institutions such as the Inter-American Development Bank and the World Bank.Minimum Qualifications:
MA/MBA with 13 - 15 years of experience OR PhD with 8 - 10 years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is preparing for the upcoming ADB-funded Economics of Climate Change in Central and West Asia program and seeks a Climate Impact Assessment and Energy Specialist for the adaption component. The program has two components: (i) adaptation to climate change will assess the costs and benefits of implementing adaptation measures to reduce the adverse effects of climate change on energy and water resources in the most vulnerable countries in the region, i.e., Afghanistan, the Kyrgyz Republic, and Tajikistan; and (ii) mitigation of climate change will assess the costs and benefits of GHG emission reduction measures and formulate low-carbon development investment proposals for energy and transport in the most carbon-intensive countries in the region, i.e., Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, and Uzbekistan.
Under the supervision of the Team Leader, the Climate Impact Assessment and Energy Specialist will:
- Develop the integrated climate impact assessment of the energy sector, including an analysis of the impacts of climate variability and change on energy production and highly vulnerable groups;
- Support the formulation of investment proposals;
- Identify adaptation policies and measures that can reduce the adverse effects of climate change on the energy sector in the target countries and ensure the inclusion of those measures in the countries’ national adaptation actions; and
- Carry out sensitivity analysis on key modeling assumptions and indicate the confidence intervals of the results.
***This is a roving position. It is not fixed in any one of the listed countries.***
- Master's degree or higher in environmental sciences, engineering, or a related area
- At least ten (10) years of international professional experience in climate impact assessment, particularly as related to adaptation strategies for the energy sector
- Prior experience in Central Asia is highly preferred
- Excellent report writing skills are essential
- Prior experience on donor-funded programs is required. ADB experience is a plus.
- Written and oral fluency in English is required