EUNIDA - the European Network of EU member state implementing agencies - has been awarded a new Health Systems Strengthening project by the EC designed for the benefit of the Libyan Ministry of Health and people of Libya. The project’s overall objective is to improve efficiency, effectiveness and quality of health service delivery in Libya by strengthening strategic planning, financing as well as management and quality of health service delivery through targeted reforms and pilot interventions.
There will be three key result areas:
- Strategic Planning, Health Financing and Capacity Strengthened:
National health strategy, related policies and action plans developed; health financing options identified; provider payment mechanisms reviewed; and capacity of the Ministry of Health and Health Professionals Associations strengthened at all levels.
- Health Service Delivery and Quality of Health Care:
Health Service Package successfully rolled out in pilot areas; options for public private partnerships identified; quality of outcomes framework and accreditation standards developed and selected quality improvements reported.
- Workforce Planning, Development and Management:
Recruitment and retention targets in place; pre-service and in-service training needs assessed and partially addressed through targeted training and partnerships with training institutions; curricula upgraded and standardised; licensing standards and management tools developed and rolled out in pilot areas.
EUNIDA works to bring together the best of EU member state public and private expertise to deliver quality and lasting benefits - and Crown Agents, as the UK member of EUNIDA, is very pleased to support this project by seeking quality expertise.
The Strategic Communication Expert will facilitate the design and roll out of internal and external strategies for communication and outreach in support of health sector reforms. He/she will assist in the development of a comprehensive communication strategy linked to key benchmarks of health sector reform and with the ultimate objective to facilitate national dialogue, ensure genuine participation of stakeholders at all levels, strengthen government legitimacy and the credibility of proposed reforms, and manage expectations about their pace and potential.
He/she will elaborate a communication needs assessment and an analysis of information needs of specific target groups, which should include as a minimum, the frontline workers, the General National Congress, local leaders and the Libyan public at large. Messages conveyed should be evidence-based, targeted to specific audiences and easily understood by various stakeholders. A variety of tools may be identified including outreach and PR events, sub-national strategies, media briefings, updates and press releases, web stories on key policy initiatives and featured stories on international and national and local Libyan media outlets. The expert will also gauge the impact and the effectiveness of communication strategies implemented and the general perception regarding reform-related initiatives.
The Strategic Communication Expert will operate under the overall guidance of the LHSS Steering Committee with day-to-day supervision of the Team Leader. He/she will be working in close consultation with the other LTEs and relevant STEs.
Qualifications and Skills
- Advanced clinical degree and/or advanced degree in Journalism, Communications, International Relations/Public Affairs, Journalism, Marketing, Political Science, Public Health or other related field;
- Proven writing and editing skills, with a strong command of English and Arabic and ability to convey complex ideas in a creative, clear, direct and lively style;
- Ability to lead research efforts to identify and map intended audiences;
- Ability to translate M&E findings into communicable messages;
- Strong diplomatic, interpersonal and team skills and demonstrated client orientation
- Proven intellectual leadership and demonstrated understanding of the use of traditional and emerging media in support of policy reform processes;
- Ability to leverage communication tools and methodologies (such as online monitoring, web analytics, surveys or other measurement tools) and to develop and analyse communications performance indicators;
- Knowledge of the Libyan health care landscape at national or regional level.
Specific Professional Experience
- A minimum of 5 years progressively responsible professional work experience in health care reporting, clinical/health care or health-related research, public information or communications
- Arabic Speaker
- Proven experience in the field of strategic communication in post-conflict and transitional environments and/or in the context of reforms;
- Prior experience in the media at international level;
- Experience in multi-stakeholder analysis/engagement and Knowledge Management
Note that civil servants and other staff of the public administration of the Beneficiary Country cannot be recruited as experts, unless prior written approval has been obtained from the European Commission.
The selection and recruitment of all LTEs, including the Team Leader, will be subject to open and transparent procedures guided by principles of objectivity, equal opportunity, competition, diversity and accountability. As a rule, the selection and recruitment of all LTEs, including the Team Leader, will include interviews by a panel of experts drawn from the Steering Committee. The findings of the selection panel will be recorded. The selected experts shall be subject to approval by the Contracting Authority (the European Union).