Patient Access Program in the Philippines

Increase access to healthcare by developing a pricing program tailored a patients ability to pay.

Patient Access Program

In the Philippines, there is limited public funding of healthcare and patients often have to pay out of their own pocket for treatment. Around 20% of the population have medical insurance plans through their employer; the other 80% have to pay out of pocket. The government-owned Philippine Healthcare Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) provides basic national healthcare coverage, however, it doesn’t include treatment with biologics.

The Roche Patient Access Program was established to help people who are financially constrained, through a socialised pricing program that considers the individual affordability level of a patient. Physicians refer patients to the program, who are then for assessed by an independent third party for their ability to pay. Qualified patients receive a discounted price for Herceptin based on their financial status. This differential pricing improves access to products for poorer patients without impacting the price for patients able to pay out of pocket.

In addition, Roche has established HER2 programs to create awareness of the need for HER2 testing and to improve testing accuracy.

As another way to improve healthcare coverage, Roche has partnered with Philam Life Insurance, Pru Life Insurance and five health management organisations to develop cancer insurance programs.


  • Roche International

    Works & Construction, Development Consulting
    Canada | Staff size: 501-1000

    Drawing on the knowledge and professionalism of its 1,500 employees, Roche Ltd, Consulting Group is now a major Canadian engineering-construction firm that was founded in La Malbaie, Quebec, in...

  • Pru Life Insurance Philippines

    Investment & Finance
    Philippines | Staff size: 1001-5000

    Pru Life UK is one of the leading life insurance companies in the Philippines, with over 15 years of excellence in providing relevant and innovative life insurance products designed to meet the...

  • PhilAm Life Insurance

    Investment & Finance
    Philippines | Staff size: Unknown

    Established on June 21, 1947 by Cornelius Vander Starr with Earl Carroll as founding president, Philam Life served as a “house of savings” to help Filipinos recover from the ravages...

  • PhilHealth

    Philippines | Staff size: Unknown

    PhilHealth was created in 1995 to create a universal health coverage for the Philippines. It is a tax-exempt, government-owned and government-controlled corporation (GOCC) of the Philippines,...

More Resources

Key Information

LocationEast Asia and Pacific, Philippines
  • Start Date 2010