Qorichacra Project

Qorichacra is an innovative partnership that links smallholder farmers into a sophisticated supply chain which supplies hotels and restaurants, mainly McDonald’s restaurants in the major cities of Cusco and Arequipa.

Qorichacra Project

Qorichacra is partnership between organizations to support small holder farmers with low income and link them to high-value markets. The project was funded by the Syngenta Foundation and Arcos Dorados (franchise-holders for McDonald’s in Latin America). The project was managed by Intercooperation and the Centro Bartolome de las Casa which are two non-profit organizations with extensive experience in rural development. The project formed a business network and provided two years of technical support and technical support in the region. The training helped the smallholder farmers meet the quality and safety protocols required by McDonald’s suppliers. By 2011, smallholders were able to supply their produce to commercial production (20%) and sold the rest to hotels and restaurants in the city (80%). In 2013, the project successfully launched Qorichacra Brazil and Argentina with support from further donors. In 2014, the project extended its model to Puerto Rico.


  • Arcos Dorados

    Goods Supplier
    Peru | Staff size: 10,000+

    Arcos Dorados is the largest operator of McDonald's restaurants in Latin America and the Caribbean, and the world's largest McDonald's franchisee, in terms of systemwide sales and number of...

  • Syngenta Foundation for Sustainable Agriculture

    Switzerland | Staff size: 26-50

    The Syngenta Foundation for Sustainable Agriculture is a not-for-profit organization that focuses on supporting the productivity of small-scale farmers in developing countries around the world....

More Resources

Key Information

LocationLatin America and Caribbean, Puerto Rico, Peru, Argentina, Brazil
  • Start Date 2010