INTERNSHIP PROGRAM SUMMARY:
- The Internship Program aligns with the academic calendar year beginning September, January, or June for a period of 3-5 months; with the ability to extend as appropriate
- Interns are expected to work 2 days a week in the Women Deliver office between 10-20 hours per week at a rate of $15.00 per hour
- Women Deliver typically hosts a total of 4-8 interns per period across all program and functional teams and each are managed and mentored by an Associate or Senior Associate
INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES ARE AVAILABLE FOR ALL OR SOME OF THE FOLLOWING DEPARTMENTS EACH PERIOD:
Please indicate clearly in the subject line and in your cover letter:
- Application Period: September 2018, January 2019, or June 2019
- Internship Position: 1st choice & 2ndchoice (if applicable): Office of the President, External Relations, Policy & Advocacy, Youth Engagement, or Communications
Design Intern (Communications):
- Assist with the rollout of an organizational brand refresh, across print and digital content
- Concept templates for social media posts
- Create infographics and other data visualization projects
- Update long-form documents such as reports, brochures, and flyers
- Assist with video and animation projects
- Act as general support for the Communications Team
- Special requirements: 1) Requires a portfolio 2) Currently enrolled in or a graduate of a graphic design program 3) Proficient in Adobe CC: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign 4) Experience designing in Microsoft Word and PPT, a plus 5) Experience with data visualization, infographics 6) Excellent layout, use of color, and typography skills 7) Interest in designing and elevating a single brand across multiple platforms 8) Experience with any of the following is preferred: video editing, animation, illustration, and GIFs
- Draft, edit, and post content to the Women Deliver website.
- Proofread editorial content, newsletters, press releases, reports, educational resources, and other publications.
- Monitor news coverage and flag relevant stories in the gender equality, reproductive rights, and other related fields to share or comment on.
- Assist in media list building, story development, and pitching.
- Assist in upkeep of Women Deliver’s social media platforms, including drafting tweets, developing content calendars, and scheduling posts.
- Special requirements: 1) Bachelor Degree preferred in communications or marketing, 2) experience with HMTL, email marketing, and CMS systems – WordPress a plus, 3) experience with social media & media management systems – Sprout Social & Meltwater a plus, 4) proficiency in photo editing software a plus
Youth Engagement Intern:
- Helps track and manage Young Leader’s advocacy efforts and requests for support.
- Drafts and proofreads external (social media) and internal youth-related advocacy and communications materials.
- Collects and synthesizes research on youth-specific topics pertinent to gender equality, sexual and reproductive health and rights, and meaningful youth engagement in order to develop internal memos, policy briefs, and talking points.
- Assists with research and organizing participation associated with national, regional, and international events for Women Deliver youth team staff and youth representatives.
- Supports the youth team as they represent and contribute to Women Deliver’s youth networks, working groups, and speaking events as needed.
- Special requirements: 1) Experience working with diverse cultures and/or youth -led or youth-serving projects preferred, 2) General knowledge of or specific interest in advocacy and communication campaigns
Policy and Advocacy Intern:
- Collects and synthesizes research for advocacy briefings and other materials.
- Drafts and proofreads materials.
- Assists with research and logistical tasks associated with the Deliver for Good Campaign, United Nations Events, and other events.
- Supports the advocacy team as they represent and contribute to Women Deliver’s networks, working groups, and speaking events.
- Supports the advocacy and communication teams’ overall efforts, specifically contributing to writing, editing, and posting blogs, as well as developing and disseminating social media messages.
- Special requirements: 1) Bachelor Degree preferred in policy, human rights, international relations or public health; and/or candidate of Master’s degree in these areas, 2) knowledge of advocacy and communications campaigns with emphasis in social media expertise.
External Relations Intern:
- Provides daily logistical, research, and administrative support to the External Relations team.
- Helps prepare for meetings with stakeholders, partners, and donors by drafting briefings and conducting background research on private sector, governmental, and institutional partners and donors.
- Uses Salesforce, Excel and other methodologies to track and synthesize data and information on different private sector, governmental, and institutional stakeholders, partners, and donors.
- Assists the External Relations team as they work with WD 2019 Conference. sponsors and donors; utilizes Salesforce and Excel to track deliverables around the conference.
- Helps set up and manage meetings, takes notes, and provides follow up.
- Conducts critical background research on key stakeholders and funding priorities of government partners and donors.
Office of the President Intern:
- Assists with logistical tasks associated with the President/CEO’s meetings and speaking engagements.
- Collects and synthesizes research for President/CEO’s briefings.
- Supports the OOP team in logging meetings and speaking engagements through salesforce and internal tracking system.
- Supports the OOP teams’ overall efforts, specifically contributing to meeting prep, collating materials, and assisting in maintenance of external correspondences.
INTERNSHIP PROGRAM HIRING PROCESS & TIMELINE:
- Please include your cover letter, resume, relevant writing sample or portfolio for designer, and three references (contact information only)
- Please indicate clearly in the subject line and in your cover letter:
- Application Period: September 2018, January 2019, or June 2019
- Internship Position: 1st choice & 2nd choice (if applicable): Office of the President, External Relations, Policy & Advocacy, Youth Engagement, or Communications
- 15 min phone screen with Talent Advisor
- 45 min panel interview via Skype with Intern Hiring Committee
- 30 min in-person or Skype interview with Department Director
- Reference Check
Please see our website for more information on specific internship cycles.
Note: Internship applications are welcome anytime throughout the year, however, will only be evaluated and reviewed in August, November and April. Due to the volume of applications, Women Deliver will only contact qualified candidates.
GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM:
- Candidate for Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree required, unless otherwise indicated.
- An understanding and/or demonstrated interest in gender equality and girls’ and women’s health, rights, and wellbeing – with a particular emphasis on the global maternal, sexual, and reproductive health and rights landscape.
- Excellent attention to detail and demonstrated organizational, oral, and written communication skills.
- Open mind and good sense of humor, a collaborative team player, and ability to work well in a bustling high-energy open-space office.
- Ability to work in the Women Deliver office 2-3 days per week (and develop a consistent and agreed upon schedule with Women Deliver).
- Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
About the Organization
Women Deliver is a leading global advocacy organization. We build capacity, forge partnerships, create networks, develop messages and catalyze actions that spark political commitment and investment in the health, rights, and wellbeing of girls and women throughout the world. We bring together diverse voices and interests to share solutions and drive progress particularly in gender equality and maternal, sexual and reproductive health and rights.