Overall field responsibility for in-country programs, including grant-funded programs, implemented overseas; manages international and local staff; identifies program methodologies and develops long-term and short-term strategies and work plans to improve the rule of law in the country of responsibility. Implements, monitors and evaluates in-country programs and activities. Responsible for financial oversight of all programs and for donor relations in-country. In cooperation with headquarters-based program staff, drafts grant proposals and undertakes fundraising in-country.
- Manage and oversee ABA rule of law initiative office and activities in a foreign location, including ensuring compliance with host country laws and regulations and donor requirements, hiring and managing local staff, overseeing budget planning and implementation, and being accountable for business funds.
- Oversee, help organize, and participate in substantive programming and activities, including developing and implementing project work plans, recruiting and managing volunteer legal specialists and workshop faculty, and convening and participating in trainings, workshops, legal assessments, and other activities. Perform required sponsor and/or ABA reporting, monitoring and evaluation.
- Create and maintain strong relationships with local partners (e.g., local bar associations, law schools, NGOs, governmental entities), U.S. governmental officials (e.g., Ambassador, director of USAID mission), other international implementers, and current and potential field-based donors.
- Serve as liaison for activities of other ABA programs/entities taking place in the country or region, including those of ABA officers.
- Oversee and/or contribute to: memos relevant to ABA Boards/committees, newsletters, material for websites, and focal area requests.
- Other duties as assigned
- JD and 7 years or master’s and 10 years relevant experience, including some international experience.
- Experience or knowledge of legal reform issues in region or country where placed
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit organization that implements legal reform programs in roughly 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.