ABA Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 40 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 400 professional staff working internationally. ABA ROLI’s partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations.
ABA ROLI is seeking a part-time Wildlife Trafficking expert consultant to be based in Colombo, Sri Lanka. The consultant will provide high-level expertise to ABA ROLI and its partners in Sri Lanka, in support of ABA ROLI’s work on countering wildlife trafficking (CWT) in South Asia, in cooperation with Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS). ABA ROLI’s CWT programming is specifically focused on training for law enforcement, prosecutors and judges in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh on wildlife crimes and the links with money laundering and illicit financial networks.
The ideal candidate will have expertise in wildlife trafficking and environmental crimes; experience designing training curricula; and skills in engaging with justice sector actors and other program stakeholders. S/he will work closely with ABA ROLI’s Sri Lanka and Washington, DC offices, and with WCS’s Bangladesh office.
The role is for 18 months, with the possibility of extension, and is expected to start early 2019.
- Providing substantive, technical expertise on CWT issues, based on international standards and Sri Lankan law;
- Providing strategic advice on substantive programming and activities;
- Participating in training opportunities within the host country;
- Developing program related materials in coordination with ABA ROLI experts and program partners;
- Assists in identifying best practices derived from lessons learned and adapting curricula accordingly;
- Assisting in design and implementation of workshops, training sessions, public awareness activities, and other program activities in collaboration with Washington, DC office and other field staff;
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Relevant Masters’ degree or law degree.
- At least 6 years of direct experience developing and implementing related programs in the region, and deep understanding of wildlife trafficking and environmental crimes, and related financial crimes.
- An understanding of anti-corruption, anti-money laundering and related laws in Sri Lanka.
- Demonstrated experience advising, designing, and implementing training programs and developing resources for the justice sector.
- Fluency in English.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.
Please submit a CV and cover letter to: email@example.com
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit organization that implements legal reform programs in roughly 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
For more information about what we do at ABA ROLI please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/about.html