The American Bar Assoication: Rule of Law Initiative is seeking a Grants Manager to work on international grants at our DC office. The Grant Manager reviews accounting transaction for potential charging against grants for an assigned set of countries and ensures compliance with grantor, government or private entities, and appropriate rules, regulations, and/or grant provisions.
Principal Duties/Job Responsibilities
- Reviews monthly field office operating expense reports for completeness, accuracy, and allowability and compliance with against an assigned grant(s).
- Reviews all expenses and identifies expenses which are not allowable and provides a recommended course of action to a senior grant accountant or Manager - Grant Compliance and Control.
- Prepares and uploads journal entries for monthly cash actuals for program related expenses (e.g., field reports, in-kind contributions, reclassifications, write-offs, etc.).
- Runs pipeline reports and general ledgers on a monthly basis and adds other committed funds and provides program managers and field staff with reports on cash burn and remaining funding of specific grants.
- Prepares government reports (e.g., SF425) and private donor reports either on a standardized reporting schedule or on an ad hoc basis.
- Prepares, submits, and follows up on wire transfers and/or direct deposit.
- Maintains the data integrity of all financial transactions for all assigned countries/grants and assists program managers and auditors in identifying and collecting appropriate expense documentation.
- Collaborates with Field Finance Managers from assigned countries/grants on expense inquiries, supporting materials, expense allowability, policies, additional awards, and general inquiries.
- Reconciles business advance accounts on a monthly basis and closes accounts when the grant is terminating and/or Country Director changes
- Performs other related duties as required.
Basic Qualifications & Interests (BQIs)
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting.
- At least two years’ experience reviewing financial transactions against grant provisions to determine allowability of such transactions.
- At least two years’ experience interpreting and applying grant rules and regulations from government entities (e.g., OMB circulars) and/or private donors.
- Intermediate-level skill in the Microsoft Office Suite of products.
Preferred Qualifications & Interests (PQIs)
- Fluency in a language of a host country for which support is provided.
- Previous experience interacting with program support staff, donors, and/or grantors.
Please apply at
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 40 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 400 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.