The ABA Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) is seeking a Spring 2019 intern for its Latin America and the Caribbean Division. Interns for ABA ROLI will work with program staff of their assigned division to gain an understanding of international development programs and international rule of law issues.
Although this is an unpaid position, interns at ABA ROLI are eligible for a wide variety of perks and learning opportunities including:
- Transportation reimbursement up to $15.00/day
- Field trips to D.C. legal destinations such as the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Supreme Court, and Library of Congress
- Brown-bag lunches with ABA ROLI staff and guest speakers
Typical responsibilities could include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with management of current programs and development of new ones in judicial reform, legal education reform, LGBT rights, and anti-corruption, among other things;
- Monitor political and economic developments in the LAC region;
- Produce outreach materials;
- Research areas of interest;
- Work with program and in-country staff with day-to-day support tasks.
- Current or recent undergraduate or graduate student interested in, and knowledgeable about, international development and/or legal issues in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Strong commitment to public interest law and/or international development, as evidenced by relevant experience and coursework;
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills;
- Proficiency with MS Office and Outlook;
- Proactive work style;
- International development experience highly desirable but not required;
- Proficiency in Spanish is highly preferred; proficiency in French is preferred but not required.
HOW TO APPLY
Please include a resume and cover letter in your application with your estimated availability. Please list any foreign language proficiencies in your resume and state in your cover letter why you believe that you are qualified for this position. Finalists may be required to provide a writing sample. Send all applications to email@example.com.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit organization that implements legal reform programs in roughly 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
For more information about what we do at ABA ROLI please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/about.html