ABA-ROLI Middle East and North Africa - ROLI Senior Advisor
Responsible for providing programmatic, technical advice, counsel, and support to the international field offices and the DC staff in one of ROLI’s substantive reform areas, e.g., criminal law reform, access to justice, women’s rights, etc.
- Responsible for the development, oversight, and management of special projects related to a particular substantive area.
- Serves as a subject matter expert and advisor/resource for DC and field staff, particularly for program and proposal development.
- Develops and assists in the coordination and management of US and field-based special events and regional workshops.
- Directs efforts to investigate and pursue program development/expansion opportunities and coordinates the development and maintenance of relationships with U.S.-based funders/partners. Assists in the development and maintenance of funder/partner relationships in the field.
- Supports the regional divisions in the identification, recruitment, and orientation of individuals to be posted in DC or in the field to relevant positions.
- Provides subject matter expertise as a speaker/presenter at international conferences/symposia, authors academic articles, pursues leadership roles in appropriate boards and committees, and participates in the international efforts to develop standards on rule of law reform.
- Manages relevant substantive practice group.
- Prepares U.S. and field-based assessments of draft law, concept papers, and research.
- Coordinates the implementation and management of relevant assessment tools and methodologies.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Possession of a Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school or recognized foreign law school, or possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- At least ten years’ experience in one or more thematic areas.
- At least eight years’ experience in international development.
- At least 5 years’ experience in the gender substantive area;
- Experience in Tunisia or similar transitional contexts;
- Experience managing multi-cultural teams;
- Experience managing relationships with local partners
About the OrganizationThe Rule of Law Initiative is a public service project of the American Bar Association dedicated to promoting legal reform efforts in over 40 countries around the world. The Rule of Law Initiative believes that rule of law promotion is the most effective long-term antidote to the most pressing problems facing the world community today, including poverty, economic stagnation, and crippling levels of corruption.
The Rule of Law Initiative concentrates its technical legal assistance efforts in the following substantive areas: 1) Anti-corruption & public integrity; 2) Criminal law & combating trafficking in persons; 3) Gender issues; 4) Human rights & conflict mitigation; 5) Judicial reform; 6) Legal education reform; and 7) Legal profession reform.
The Rule of Law Initiative enlists talented individuals who possess the skills and commitment necessary to effectively promote the rule of law in our host countries. We regularly seek experienced attorneys, judges, and law professors interested in lending their expertise to our programs for both long- and short-term pro bono assignments overseas.
For more information please visit our website at www.abarol.org.