ABA ROLI seeks an Oral Litigation and Criminal Investigation Program Officer for a period of 09-months in its office in Mexico City, with travel throughout the country. Candidates need to the able to work legally in Mexico.
The Oral Litigation and Criminal Investigation Program Officer supports the Country Director in the implementation of ABA ROLI’s “New Advocates for Mexican Justice” Program (“Nuevos Abogados para el Sistema de Justicia en Mexico”), organizing and coordinating training courses in oral litigation techniques and carries out activities aimed at organize the national mock trial competition. The program officer is responsible for organizing and supervising the online criminal investigation training.
The program officer organizes and coordinates the trial advocacy skills and training of trainers workshops for law students and law professors and coordinates the trainers for both workshops. Maintains communication with the host institutions and verifies that premises are adequate beforehand for the trainings. Coordinates staff, trainers and attendees during the workshops and logistics of the courses.
The program officer conducts the national mock trial competition in its regional and national phases with coordination of staff, evaluator judges and participant teams. Follows up on the case design for the competition and maintains contact with host institutions. Conducts the fellowship and the study tour for the winners of the competition as well as the job fairs.
Coordinates and integrates the online criminal investigation course. Designs the materials to be used during the course. Works with the experts who develop the contents and administrates the online platform, following up the participants, their interventions and evaluations; as well as the closing of the course.
- Conducts programmatic oversight for the trial advocacy skills and training of trainers workshops;
- Develops and implements activities related to the National Mock Trial Competition;
- Supports programmatic activities for the fellowship, study tour and job fairs;
- Provides technical advice and support to counterparts and donors, regarding program goals and activities;
- Conducts programmatic oversight in coordination with other Program Officers;
- Provides administrative and logistical support related to the Program;
- Leads the preparation of reports for ABA ROLI and donors;
- Supports outreach of the program.
- EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Law.
- EXPERIENCE: At least 6 months of experience in the new criminal justice system. At least 6 months to 1 year of responsible work as trainer in trial advocacy skills and criminal investigation.
- LANGUAGE: Proficient Speaking/Reading/Writing of English is required. Fluent Speaking/Reading/Writing of Spanish is required.
- SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office suite applications. Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite to include Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Strong knowledge of data analysis. Strong interpersonal skills. Strong sense of ethics and professionalism.
- Masters in law in trial advocacy;
- Have participated as an organizer or participant of mock trial competitions;
- Have participated as an evaluator judge of mock trial competitions;
- Previous experience in criminal justice related issues;
- Strong commitment to rule of law principles.
Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 40 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 400 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.