The American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) is pleased to consider applications for its summer 2018 Outreach and Communications Internship.
ABA ROLI serves as the international development wing of the American Bar Association, and seeks to promote justice, economic opportunity, and human dignity through the rule of law. ABA ROLI seeks interns to assist headquarters staff with a wide variety of the day-to-day support functions that are pertinent to the operations of an international NGO.
Terms of the Program:
This intern will work directly with the ABA ROLI Outreach Division on all daily activities, including:
- Research and monitoring of ongoing global trends to be integrated into appropriate ABA ROLI outreach and communications channels;
- Supporting material, development and graphics creation for ABA ROLI websites, newsletters, collateral, social media outlets, and related communications efforts;
- Helping the team transfer over to the new ABA website platform;
- Contributing to the writing, editing, and publication of outreach materials.
Interns and fellows for ABA ROLI will work with staff of their assigned division to gain an understanding of international development programs and international rule of law issues. Although these are unpaid positions, interns at ABA ROLI are eligible for a wide variety of perks and learning opportunities including:
- Transportation reimbursement up to $15.00/day
- Field trips to D.C. legal destinations such as the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Supreme Court and Library of Congress
- Brown-bag lunches with ABA ROLI staff and guest speakers
Undergraduate, MA/JD student, or recent graduate seeking relevant degrees in international affairs, international development, or related subject areas;
- Strong commitment to public interest law and/or international development, as evidenced by relevant experience and coursework;
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills;
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, CRM systems, and other relevant software systems;
- Familiarity with web development a plus;
- Proficiency with MS Office;
- International development experience highly desirable but not required.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated, creative, and detail oriented with an ability to work independently and as a member of a diverse team. Candidates should have a demonstrated interest and background in strategic communications or a related field, particularly in the context of international development.
To apply, please submit an updated resume and cover letter indicating your summer availability. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit organization that implements legal reform programs in roughly 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
For more information about what we do at ABA ROLI please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/about.html