The ABA Rule of Law Initiative in Tunisia seeks a Program Director to be based in Tunis, Tunisia to oversee a program focused on reforms to the Tunisian criminal procedure code, specifically the right to counsel, including legal and judicial training, public outreach, and building the capacity of journalists to report on judicial sector reforms. The Program Director will engage in ongoing program management, implementation, and oversight of strategic and tactical elements of the legal and judicial training program, and oversight, together with program implementation partners, of the other elements. The Program Director may also act as Deputy Director with oversight of the administrative and financial operations of the office.
- Responsible for day-to-day management of assigned programs and ensures that all programmatic requirements are being met/exceeded according to the ABA, ROLI, and grantor requirements;
- Maintains accountability for all timely, accurate, and compliant in-country programmatic monitoring and evaluation;
- Oversees and is accountable for the development and deployment of substantive programming and activities, including, but not limited to, project work plans, managing volunteer legal specialists and consultants, and convening, organizing, and participating in training opportunities within the host country;
- Establishes and enhances effective collaboration and relationships with local entities and other development partners to fulfill program objectives within cost constraints and garner additional funding from partners;
- Maintains proactive communications with the Country Director and ROLI leadership to ensure timely and accurate updates on program activities, achievements, and shortcomings. Creates and implements corrective plans to improve performance against appropriate standards in areas where program shortcomings are identified;
- Assists in identifying best practices derived from lessons learned;
- Collaborates with the Country Director and local authorities to ensure that all programs and operations are compliant with local laws and regulations and, if required, have received all regulatory licensing/registrations prior to offering the program;
- Ensures compliance with all donor, ABA, federal, state, and local laws/regulations while managing the program(s). Ensures personal and program compliance with the FCPA;
- Provides leadership, coaching, counseling, feedback, performance appraisal, and, where appropriate, applies corrective actions to an assigned team;
- Performs other related duties as required.
- JD or foreign equivalent and 7-10 years of relevant experience;
- Experience managing and implementing US Government donor-funded international direct assistance and response programs;
- Experience implementing international donor-supported programs which must have included responsibilities for supervision of a team, financial management, and compliance;
- Fluency in English in order to meet the technical and managerial requirements of the program and donor requirements;
- Previous experience working for an association, NGO, or other non-profit entity;
- Previous experience managing programs related to implementation of the right to counsel, including primarily training legal professionals, and secondarily training media, running public awareness campaigns, or related programming;
- French or Arabic language skills an advantage;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.
Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with the American Bar Association please call 312-988-5188.
To apply, please visit: https://www5.recruitingcenter.net/Clients/abanet/PublicJobs/controller.cfm?jbaction=JobProfile&Job_Id= 11835&esid=az
For more information on this program please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/where_we_work/middle_east/tunisia.html
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in more than 40 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 400 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.