The American Bar Association: Rule of Law Initiative, is hiring a Program Director for our Western Balkans Region.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of assigned programs and that all programmatic requirements are being met/exceeded according the ABA, ROLI, and grantor requirements.
- Accountable for all timely, accurate, and compliant in-country programmatic monitoring and reporting.
- Oversees and is accountable for the development and deployment of substantive programming and activities, including, but not limited to, project work plans, managing/assisting volunteer legal specialists and consultants, and convening, organizing and participating in training opportunities within the host country.
- Establishes and enhances effective collaboration and relationships with local entities and other development partners (e.g., local bar association, law schools, NGO’s, governmental agencies, etc.) to fulfill program objectives within cost constraints and garner additional funding from partners.
- Maintains proactive communications with the Country Director and ROLI leadership to ensure timely and accurate updates on programs’ activities, achievements, and shortcomings. In area where program shortcomings are identified, creates and implements corrective action plans to improve performance against standards.
- Assists in identifying best practices derived from lessons learned.
- Collaborates with the Country Director and local authorities to ensure that all programs and operations are compliant with all local laws/regulations and, if required, have received all regulatory licensing/registrations prior to offering the programs.
- Ensures compliance with all donor, ABA, federal, state, and local laws/regulations while managing the program(s). Ensures personal and program compliance with the FCPA.
- Provides leadership, coaching, counseling, feedback, performance appraisal, and, where appropriate, applies corrective actions to an assigned team.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Possession of a JD from an ABA-accredited law school and at least seven (7) years’ experience in program management or business operations which must have included international experience; OR, Possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university and at least ten (10) years’ experience in program management or business operations which must have included international experience. NOTE: If law degree is from a non-U.S. law school, the degree program may not be required to be an ABA-accredited law school if the incumbent is not a U.S. citizen.
- Previous experience managing U.S. Government, USAID, NGO, or other similarly funded international grant programs.
- Previous experience in implementing international donor-supported programs which must have included responsibilities for supervision of a team, financial management, and compliance.
- Demonstrated field experience preferably in the Balkan region coupled with 10 years of experience delivering international development and rule of law programs.
- Experience implementing international development programs in a broad range of rule of law issues, including, but not limited to: effective oversight bodies, regulation, legislation, rules of procedures; corruption (in justice systems and overall); legal and regulatory frameworks for business; and issue-based opportunities to support access to justice, including for women, excluded and minority groups and cybersecurity.
- Nuanced understanding of regional rule of law development issues.
- Proven leadership abilities within a multi-partner initiative, and experience representing programs at high levels of policy engagement.
- Experience communicating and building productive relationships within a broad range of government, civil society, academic, and IGO entities, at international, regional, and local levels.
- Experience managing interdisciplinary and culturally diverse teams in centralized and remote locations.
- Detailed understanding of United Kingdom assistance policies, award management and reporting requirements.
Please apply on our website: https://usr55.dayforcehcm.com/CandidatePortal/en-US/aba/Posting/View/355
Please be sure to merge your resume and cover letter to one single PDF when applying, as our application portal only allows for one document to submitted per application. Thank you.
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 40 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 400 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.