The ABA Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) seeks a Program Manager for its Africa Division. This Program Manager is primarily responsible for oversight of its portfolio in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), which currently consists of multiple programs that focus on combatting impunity of perpetrators of sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV), strengthening justice sector institutions, applications of new technology for justice, increasing access to justice, strengthening electoral systems, empowering communities to advocate for their rights in the face of large scale mining activities, among others. ABA ROLI’s DRC programs are supported by diverse donors, including the US government, foreign governments, private foundations, and individual donors. The Program Manager generally supervises DC-based program staff and coordinates closely with the field-based Country Director, Project Directors and staff. This position will require overseas travel.
- Assists in program design and the development of proposals in collaboration with the field staff and under the supervision senior program staff.
- Leads and is accountable for the recruiting of workshop faculty and short- and long-term experts within an assigned area.
- Creates appropriate budgetary tracking and monitoring tools to efficiently review actual to planned budget performance. Creates operational analyses and produces recommendations to make course corrections of modifications to optimize budget utilization within the scope of the grant or general revenue space.
- Assists in the development of study tour programs from conceptualization through implementation and may lead study groups on such tours to ensure quality, delivery consistency, program compliance, and optimal participant informational uptake and comprehension.
- Provides support to and is accountable for logistical arrangements for domestic events.
- May participate in ABA ROLI representation domestically and within an assigned region.
- Actively participates in and oversees the development of M&E plans and ensures the effective implementation of M&E systems is based upon such data.
- Participates in donor relations.
- Assigns, coordinates, and participates in research activities as assigned.
- Assists in all compliance efforts with ABA and other donor policies, practices, procedures, and regulations. Accountable for adherence to and compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act [FCPA].
- Assists in the creation, fostering, nurturing, and expansion of working relationships with the host government, host country legal leaders, other NGO’s, and similarly situated entities to bolster and enhance the opportunity for achieving/exceeding ABA and ROLI plan/program objectives.
- Provides leadership, coaching, counseling, development, and, where appropriate, discipline, to and through assigned employees.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Masters’ degree, or Juris Doctorate degree (or equivalent) from an ABA- accredited law school (or equivalent) and at least four (4) years’ of program management experience.
- At least four years of relevant professional experience required, of which at least two years field-based;
- Experience working on the Africa region required, particular experience in DRC preferred;
- Project management experience in international development field required, with a strong preference for experience in the rule of law and/or human rights field, including access to justice, women’s rights, justice sector reform, and business and human rights;
- Proposal writing, budget drafting and fundraising experience required;
- Successful candidates will have strong analytical, strategic thinking, oral and written communication and research skills and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment; demonstrated ability to manage and mentor staff and to coordinate teams; and experience in work plan development, program design, monitoring and evaluating performance and impact;
- Fluent French language skills (both oral and written) required;
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.
Please submit a CV and cover letter to: https://www5.recruitingcenter.net/Clients/abanet/PublicJobs/controller.cfm?jbaction=JobProfile&Job_Id=12021&esid=az
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit organization that implements legal reform programs in roughly 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
For more information about what we do at ABA ROLI please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/about.html