The ABA Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) seeks a Program Manager for its Asia/Pacific Division. ABA ROLI’s programs are supported by diverse donors, including the US and other governments, private foundations, and individual donors. The Program Manager works closely with DC- and field-based staff to manage and develop new rule of law development programs. Programs may relate to any area of the Asia/Pacific region, and are currently most likely to relate to one or more of the following countries: Pakistan, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Philippines, Malaysia, China/Hong Kong, Cambodia. As a senior member of the Asia Division, the position is also likely to manage staff and contribute beyond their own programs to the Asia division and ROLI. The Program Manager is expected to be able to manage programs and write proposals for large programs independently, and have extensive knowledge of the content of their programs and countries of operation.
- Assists in program design and the development of proposals in collaboration with the field staff and under the supervision of senior program staff.
- Leads and is accountable for the recruiting of workshop faculty and short- and long-term experts within an assigned area.
- Creates appropriate budgetary tracking and monitoring tools to efficiently review actual to planned budget performance. Creates operational analyses and produces recommendations to make course corrections of modifications to optimize budget utilization within the scope of the grant or general revenue space.
- Assists in the development of study tour programs from conceptualization through implementation and may lead study groups on such tours to ensure quality, delivery consistency, program compliance, and optimal participant informational uptake and comprehension.
- Provides support to and is accountable for logistical arrangements for domestic events.
- May participate in ABA ROLI representation domestically and within an assigned region.
- Actively participates in and oversees the development of M&E plans and ensures the effective implementation of M&E systems is based upon such data.
- Participates in donor relations.
- Assigns, coordinates, and participates in research activities as assigned.
- Assists in all compliance efforts with ABA and other donor policies, practices, procedures, and regulations. Accountable for adherence to and compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act [FCPA].
- Assists in the creation, fostering, nurturing, and expansion of working relationships with the host government, host country legal leaders, other NGOs, and similarly situated entities to bolster and enhance the opportunity for achieving/exceeding ABA and ROLI plan/program objectives.
- Provides leadership, coaching, counseling, development, and, where appropriate, discipline, to and through assigned employees.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Masters’ degree, or Juris Doctorate degree (or equivalent) from an ABA- accredited law school (or equivalent) and at least four (4) years’ of program management experience.
- Significant experience in or working in relation to Asia, ideally Pakistan, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Philippines, Malaysia, China/Hong Kong, Cambodia, Nepal, Bangladesh, and/or Indonesia
- At least four years’ relevant professional experience required, preferably including some experience living in Asia and ideally experience practicing law or working in rule of law development in Asia
- Flawless English required; fluency in an Asian language an asset
- Project management experience in international development required, with a strong preference for experience in the rule of law and/or human rights field, for example, access to justice, women’s or children’s rights, justice sector reform, business and human rights, counter-terrorism, transnational crime, anti-corruption, training of justice sector actors, developing bar associations
- Experience designing programs and writing proposals for funding to government and/or foundation donors
- Experience managing programs funded by the US or other governments, including drafting and managing budgets, work plan development, monitoring and evaluating performance and impact
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience engaging with pro bono lawyers
- Previous work experience in a not-for-profit, association, and/or NGO setting
- Demonstrated ability to manage and mentor staff and to coordinate teams
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Existing permission to work in the USA required. ABA is unable to sponsor/support visa applications for this role.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 40 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 400 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.