ABA ROLI is seeking a Regional Director for the Africa Division responsible for the development and implementation of the organization’s strategy for sub-Saharan Africa, which implements the mission, vision, and values of the Rule of Law Initiative.
The Africa Director leads all aspects of the organization’s work in the region and has overall responsibility for management of headquarters-based and field-based staff. The Africa Director develops and is responsible for implementing the organization’s strategic vision for advancing the rule of law in the region; identifies and obtains funding for programs; leads donor relations; oversees preparation of funding proposals and budgets, as well as implementation of programs and compliance with programmatic and financial requirements; coordinates activities and programs with other entities working in the field; and develops and implements activities to publicize work in the region.
The Africa Director also participates as a member of the ABA ROLI senior staff and in that capacity contributes to achievement of overall organizational goals, assists in the development and implementation of overall organizational policies and procedures, provides leadership to the overall organization internally, and represents it externally.
The position requires collaboration with the ABA Security Director to ensure situational awareness of potential threats within the region and appropriate policy and practical responses to any such threats. The incumbent will be responsible for recruitment and staffing of the regional division and for providing leadership, feedback, coaching, counseling, performance appraisal, and, when warranted, discipline to and through assigned employees.
Further duties include serving as the staff liaison to the regional advisory Council; working with the Council chair to regularly convene the Council; updating it on ROLI work in the region and otherwise garnering involvement and support from Council members; and routinely presenting updates and progress reports to the Associate Executive Director – ROLI and to the ROLI Board.
- Provide staff leadership and general responsibility for all aspects of ABA programs in the region.
- Participates as a member of the ABA ROLI senior staff and in that capacity contributes to achievement of overall organizational goals, assists in the development and implementation of overall organizational policies and procedures, provides leadership to the overall organization internally, and represents it externally.
- Accountable for the development of ongoing programs, the acquisition of supporting grants, achieving the M&E metrics for the program/grant, and for achieving/optimizing the deliverables of the program.
- Interfaces with domestic and foreign government officials and other public and private grantors on a routine basis to influence current and future programmatic support and to ensure grantor satisfaction.
- Creates budget proposals for the region and is accountable for monitoring and reporting on budget performance at the macro-level. Recommends corrective actions throughout the budget period to maintain budget compliance.
- Assigns research tasks to staff for the purpose of designing and implementing programs and for obtaining the supporting data for grant reporting and/or proposal development.
- Guides and is accountable for the development of the strategic direction of the Region’s programs and oversees the implementation of both the program and requisite supporting structures.
- Routinely monitors grantor requests for data and proactively resolves program inquiries to effectively manage the donors’ expectations and deliverables.
- Represents ABA ROLI in both public and private presentations and briefings to donors, government officials, law practitioners, other ABA entities, and public audiences, both within and outside of the U.S., and otherwise leads efforts to project ABA ROLI expertise with respect to rule of law development in the assigned region and to garner positive publicity for Rule of Law Initiative programs in the assigned region.
- Collaborates with the Director – Security to ensure situational awareness of potential threats within the region and appropriate policy and practical responses to any such threats.
- Responsible for recruitment and staffing of the regional division and for providing leadership, feedback, coaching, counseling, performance appraisal, and, when warranted, discipline to and through assigned employees.
- Serves as the staff liaison to the Regional Program Council and works with the Council chair to regularly convene the Council, update it on ROLI work in the region and otherwise garner involvement and support from Council members. Routinely presents updates and progress reports to the Associate Executive Director – ROLI and to the ROLI Board.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Possession of a Juris Doctor from an ABA-accredited law school or equivalent foreign degree and at least ten (10) years of program, operational or international development experience; OR, possession of a Master’s degree and at least twelve (12) years of program, operational or international development experience.
- At least three years’ experience supervising a team which must have included providing performance feedback to direct reports.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS & INTERESTS
- Previous experience working in sub-Saharan Africa;
- Experience managing personnel remotely;
- Experience managing international development programs in Africa geared towards the rule of law, democracy and governance, human rights, or a related field;
- Proven track record of successful proposal development and program implementation funded by U.S. government and multi-lateral donors as well as private foundations and foreign government aid agencies;
- Language proficiency in French strongly preferred.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.
Please apply at: https://www5.recruitingcenter.net/Clients/abanet/PublicJobs/controller.cfm?jbaction=JobProfile&Job_Id=12028&esid=az
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit organization that implements legal reform programs in roughly 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
For more information about what we do at ABA ROLI please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/about.html