The STA is responsible for technical design and management of ABA ROLI overseas programs in Sub-Saharan Africa. He or she will provide technical expertise on rule of law programs in Sub-Saharan Africa on a number of themes. This is a field-facing position that requires travel to country programs. It is in charge of building the technical capacity of country program staff for new programs, and leading learning and innovation based on current programs and practice. The STA ensures the successful implementation of programs on one or more thematic areas in one or more countries; Including the design and development of project plans and closely tracking the implementation of project activities vis-à-vis project plans.
- Responsible for the development, oversight, and management of special projects related to a particular substantive area.
- Serves as a subject matter expert and advisor/resource for DC and field staff, particularly for program and proposal development.
- Develops and assists in the coordination and management of US and field-based special events and regional workshops.
- Directs efforts to investigate and pursue program development/expansion opportunities and coordinates the development and maintenance of relationships with U.S.-based funders/partners. Assists in the development and maintenance of funder/partner relationships in the field.
- Supports the regional divisions in the identification, recruitment, and orientation of individuals to be posted in DC or in the field to relevant positions.
- Provides subject matter expertise as a speaker/presenter at international conferences/symposia, authors academic articles, pursues leadership roles in appropriate boards and committees, and participates in the international efforts to develop standards on rule of law reform.
- Manages relevant substantive practice group.
- Prepares U.S. and field-based assessments of draft law, concept papers, and research.
- Coordinates the implementation and management of relevant assessment tools and methodologies.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Possession of a Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school or recognized foreign law school, or possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- At least ten years’ experience in one or more thematic areas.
- At least eight years’ experience in international development.
- Fluency in French is not required but is preferred.
- Field experience in Sub-Saharan Africa is highly desirable.
- Management experience is highly desirable.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.
To apply, please submit a CV and cover letter on our website here.
If you experience any problems applying, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in more than 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.