The ABA Rule of Law Initiative seeks a long-term Senior Technical Advisor for its Libya program, to be based in Tunis, Tunisia. This Senior Technical Advisor is responsible for providing programmatic and technical advice, counsel, and support to the Libya field office and DC staff in applicable substantive reform areas, including, but not limited to, constitutional development and public outreach on the constitution, local governance, and local dialogue. Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, providing expertise and advancing program objectives, maintaining partnerships with local stakeholders, and interacting with donor organizations. The Senior Technical Advisor will, in consultation with the Country Director and Security and Operations Manager, manage local staff and oversee administrative, financial, and logistical activities related to his/her program portfolio. This is a high-profile position that requires a great deal of tact and diplomatic skill.
Current ABA ROLI programming in Libya encompasses issues such as constitutional development, judicial reform, and human rights. To learn more about our work in Libya, please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/where_we_work/middle_east/libya.html.
- Holds responsibility for the development, oversight, and management of special projects related to his/her particular substantive area.
- Serves as a subject matter expert and advisor/resource for DC and field staff, particularly for program and proposal development.
- Develops and assists in the coordination and management of US and field-based special events and regional workshops.
- Directs efforts to investigate and pursue program development/expansion opportunities and coordinates the development and maintenance of relationships with U.S.-based funders/partners. Assists in the development and maintenance of funder/partner relationships in the field.
- Supports the regional divisions in the identification, recruitment, and orientation of individuals to be posted in DC or in the field to relevant positions.
- Provides subject matter expertise as a speaker/presenter at international conferences/symposia, authors academic articles, pursues leadership roles in appropriate boards and committees, and participates in the international efforts to develop standards on rule of law reform.
- Prepares assessments of draft laws, concept papers, and research.
- Coordinates the implementation and management of relevant assessment tools and methodologies.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Possession of a Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school or recognized foreign law school, or possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university
- At least ten years’ experience in one or more thematic areas.
- At least eight years’ experience in international development.
- Proficiency in Arabic or French desired;
- Previous work experience in a not-for-profit, association, and/or NGO setting;
- Previous experience managing USG donor-funded projects, particularly USAID;
- Regional experience in the Middle East and North Africa region strongly preferred, with a particular emphasis on experience in Libya or similar transitional environments;
- Previous experience with remote management of projects and personnel;
- Ability to travel to Tripoli, Libya for short-term trips, as needed.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in more than 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.