Washington, D.C., District of Columbia, United States
Apply by 18 June 2018
Mid-level , Full-time staff position
Posted on 18 May 2018

Job Description

The Green Infrastructure for Water Security project is executed by the Invierte Verde Consortium, led by Forest Trends, through a cooperative agreement with USAID’s Peru mission. The project works to improve the enabling environment for adopting green infrastructure within the Peruvian water sector; to improve information generation and management to support evidence-based decision making for green infrastructure project planning, design, and implementation; and to design and implement green infrastructure projects that can serve as models for replication elsewhere in Peru. The Project began in December 2017 and has a duration of 5 years, with an overall budget of $15 million.

Forest Trends seeks a highly motivated and organized accountant in our Washington, DC office. The Accountant will spend 75% of his/her time providing critical financial and administrative support to support the Water Initiative’s Green Infrastructure for Water Security Project, Peru, and will spend the remaining 25% of his/her time on general Forest Trends administrative and accounting tasks. This position is a full-time salaried position based in Forest Trends Washington, DC office.

The Accountant reports to Finance Director in DC, working in close coordination with Operations and Finance Administrator as well as the project accountant based in the Project’s Lima Office.

The HQ based Accountant is responsible for supporting Forest Trends’ Finance Team (in both Washington, DC and Lima, Peru) in processing, accounting for, and reporting on cooperative agreements and awards in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (US GAAP), and Forest Trends norms. The HQ Accountant must be familiar with USAID Cooperative agreements.

Roles and responsibilities:

  • Oversee the daily accounting activities required to maintain the general ledger in compliance with financial policies and procedures.
  • Maintain organized set of detailed records and files to document financial transactions.
  • Due diligence, preparation and monitoring of subawards and contracts, proactively track and manage timely submittal of invoices, financial reports, and payments.
  • Support to reviewing procurement and travel documentation.
  • Prepare financial reports for monthly/quarterly/annual grant reporting
  • Resolve complex accounting issues, respond to inquiries and assist staff with resolving accounting issues in a professional and timely manner.
  • Recommend and implement improvements to accounting processes and procedures.
  • Assist preparation for annual audit: scheduling, resource-gathering, and recommended follow-through.
  • Other duties as assigned or required.
Required Qualifications:
  • Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Business, CPA preferred
  • Minimum of 5 years accounting experience with strong demonstrated experience with grants accounting, preferably with USAID
  • Knowledge of GAAP and USAID regulations
  • Detail oriented with ability to follow through to closure
  • Ability to work independently and multi-task under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
  • Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize work
  • Knowledge of basic grant/contract administration
  • Full proficiency with Office 365
  • Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English and at least intermediate level in Spanish
  • Ability to work in a multicultural environment as a team player

About the Organization

Forest Trends is a non-profit organization based in Washington, DC, that works to conserve forests and other ecosystems through the creation and wide adoption of a broad range of environmental finance, markets, and other payment and incentive mechanisms. Forest Trends carries out its work in three broad areas:

  • Providing transparent information on ecosystem values, finance, and markets through knowledge acquisition, analysis, and dissemination;
  • Convening diverse coalitions, partners, and communities of practice to promote environmental values and advance development of new markets and payment mechanisms; and
  • Demonstrating successful tools, standards, and models of innovative finance for conservation.

Forest Trends’ Water Initiative works to change the way water is managed by scaling green infrastructure investments through financing mechanisms, so that green solutions are key part of a multi-pronged approach for water security.

Similar Jobs

  • Urban Water Finance Officer
  • Staff Accountant
  • Grants, Finance, and Infrastructure Expert
  • Accountant
  • Senior Accountant