Global Communities is seeking a qualified and experienced Accountant for the three-year USAID-funded Social Cohesion and Reconciliation (SCORE) project. SCORE intends to strengthen Sri Lankan-led efforts to build a more inclusive, cooperative, and resilient society to promote long term reconciliation and peace. The project will support individuals, communities, and institutions to engage within and across traditional divides in citizen-driven initiatives for local development, economic opportunity, and peacebuilding, as well as build capacity of local and national government institutions to manage peacebuilding efforts and contribute to social cohesion.
The Accountant will support the Senior Finance and Administration Officer to oversee all accounting processes related to the program. The Accountant will manage and control overall program expenses and daily accounting and assure appropriate use of funds.
* Prepare general ledger accounting entries in QuickBooks
* Perform entries account analysis and documentation of all transactions
* Prepare financial statements and submit them to HQ as required by the Field Finance and Accounting Manual
* Coordinate monthly and year-end close activities, including preparation of trial balance and closing journal
* Implement standard accounting practices under US GAAP
* Prepare bank reconciliations
* Draft and keep updated accounting and finance manuals
* Ensure invoices are paid in a timely manner
* Prepare local tax returns and withholding forms (whenever applicable)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Knowledge of US GAAP and IFRS accounting standards, including treatment of currency translation on consolidated accounts.
* Knowledge of USAID funding regulations.
* Excellent critical thinking skills and sound judgment. Proven willingness to make timely and sound decisions based on accurate judgment.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Excellent interpersonal skills as necessary to work effectively with persons on all levels both inside and outside the agency.
* Ability to work effectively in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressure.
* Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
* Ability to perform and complete a variety of complex and detail-oriented duties in a deadline driven, fast paced environment.
* Proven ability to effectively use database, spreadsheet, word processing, and position-specific software.
* Willing and able to travel to field offices as needed.
* Ability to read and interpret documents and ability to sit at a computer and operate a keyboard.
* Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
* Minimum of five years of related experience in a not-for-profit accounting setting.
* Prior exposure to or experience on USAID-funded programs preferable.
* Equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Professional level fluency English, both written and spoken. Must be able to read and interpret documents, and communicate with others as necessary to perform job duties effectively.
Sri Lankan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply; no expat allowances are attached to this position. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
About the Organization
Global Communities, formerly CHF International, is an international non-profit organization that works closely with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable.