TechnoServe is currently seeking an ambitious accountant and team leader for the position of Accounting Manager to support TechnoServe’s Department team, based in Arlington, VA. The Accounting Manager manages the day to day accounting operations for the home office including accounts payable, payroll, and general ledger functions. The position ensures books are closed accurately and in a timely manner in compliance with the US generally accepted accounting standards and ensures audit readiness for the home office.
TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. By linking people to information, capital and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities.
Founded over 50 years ago, TechnoServe has been named the #1 nonprofit for fighting poverty by the ImpactMatters charity ratings agency
- Review and analyze financial data for accuracy; timely identification, and corrections of errors of transactions posted in general
- Produce consistent and accurate supporting schedules and reconciliations for general ledger accounts;
- Lead the monthly reconciliation process for all intercompany accounts by working closely with field offices;
- Prepare monthly reconciliation and posting of fixed assets, depreciation, amortization and sub-award transactions;
- Ensure compliance with US GAAP, TNS’s financial policies and procedures, statutory and donor compliance requirements;
- Ensure timely and accurate month and year-end close for the home office;
- Assist in the development and enhancement of accounting policies and procedures;
- Provide periodic training to staff on internal control procedures and accounting tools. Update and maintain standard accounting forms.
- and providing supporting documents;
- Analyze financial data and effectively communicate critical financial matters to the Corporate Controller;
- Develop, manage and supervise a team of two accountants;
- Support donor, statutory and organizational audit process by preparing schedules;
- Supervise accounts payable staff and ensure accurate, timely coding and processing of invoices, expenses, and disbursements;
- Oversee the corporate credit card program and ensure all expenses are submitted in time for the close.
- Process payroll for both Home office and TCN staff accurately and timely;
- Post payroll and related liabilities entries and maintain ongoing reconciliation schedules.
- Ensure all allowances are processed in accordance with TNS policies and procedures;
- Ensure timesheets for all home office and TCN staffs are completed on time for the monthly close;
- Performs other related duties as required
We’re looking for someone with integrity and passion about our mission and possesses the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance and a minimum of 3 years of experience in financial and grants management in an international work setting; or a Master’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Experience supervising and coaching employees
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
- Strong knowledge of MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Microsoft Dynamics NAV (Serenic Navigator) and/or Jet Reports experience preferred
- Experience working for an international NGO, operating in Africa and Latin and Central America countries is preferred.
- Ability to speak, read, and write in additional languages, such as Spanish and Portuguese is preferred.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
About the Organization
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With five decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.