Reporting to the Accounts Payable Manager, the Accounts Payable Associate is a proactive, hands-on team player who thrives working within a fast-paced, dynamic environment. The position collaborates with the procurement team and other internal stakeholders to ensure accurate and timely processing of vendor invoices.
Process payments to vendors and employees (75%)
- Processes and pays vendor invoices and employee expense reimbursements accurately and in a timely fashion, ensuring proper coding, expense classification, and authorization.
- Processes data from Procurement system; manipulates information as necessary to ensure the accuracy of imported data into the accounting system. Utilizes a strong technical aptitude to ensure import process runs smoothly.
- Applies solid accounting principles and utilizes established internal controls and procedures to ensure compliance with internal accounting processes and donor requirements.
- Reconciles vendor statements in accordance with established timelines. Tracks and, if necessary, requests copies of outstanding invoices to ensure proper processing.
- Processes and reconciles corporate credit card activity accurately and in timely fashion; utilizes credit card sites to pull necessary reporting information; follows up with internal approvers.
- Works with vendors directly and responds to employee expense inquiries in a timely manner.
- Effectively communicates identified process issues and discrepancies and facilitates internal approvals. Proposes solutions and enhancements to minimize payment delays.
Compliance with vendor withholding and reporting requirements (10%)
- Participates in the 1099 preparation process annually.
- Ensures that vendor files are up-to-date and required compliance documents are maintained for all vendors.
Participate in monthly and annual accounting close and audit process (10%)
- Supports the monthly accounting close and year end close and audit process.
- Reconciles balance sheet accounts for credit card accounts.
- Participates in all compliance audit requests, as required.
Other duties (5%)
Qualifications and Experience
- Assists the Accounts Payable Manager with special projects as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related degree
- (Minimum) 1 year of Accounts Payable experience
- (Preferred) Basic accounting experience working in organizations with an annual revenue of $100 million or more
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong overall technical aptitude including Excel and Google Apps
- Maintains current knowledge of best practices and compliance developments affecting the area of specialization
- Fluency in a second language highly desirable
- Must have excellent communication skills and be able to work proactively and collaboratively with culturally diverse internal stakeholders in a professional and courteous manner
- Strong attention to detail with a demonstrated ability to independently establish priorities and complete diverse assignments on a timely basis
- Uses innovative thinking and exercises sound judgment to achieve results
- Ability to travel internationally (less than 5%)
- Keyboard use, pulling drawers, lifting papers <10lbs
About the Organization
Management Sciences for Health, an international nonprofit organization, is dedicated to closing the gap between what is known and what is done about public health problems. MSH saves lives and improves health by helping public and private organizations throughout the world to effectively manage people, medicines, money, and information. Working from more than 30 country offices and our US headquarters, our staff from 65 nations is highly regarded for its technical expertise, integrity, and commitment to making a lasting difference in health.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status.