The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates is currently seeking a qualified Finance, Contracts, and Administration (FCA) Director for the upcoming five-year, USAID Liberia Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) project. The FCA Director will be responsible for contract management and USAID compliance; oversight of procurement and subcontracting; budgeting, financial management and reporting; human resources management, and the general administrative support for the program. S/he will work in partnership with the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party to ensure that the project team has the administrative and financial support required to deliver on approved workplans. Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
The position will be based in Monrovia and will report to the Chief of Party. Position is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Oversee the development of administrative and operations management systems and processes required to support project implementation, ensuring compliance with USAID/Liberia and Abt policies and regulations.
- Manage implementation of financial, administrative, and human resources (HR) policies and procedures that meet project needs, Abt policy and procedures, and USAID requirements.
- Provide ongoing financial administration to project including approvals of purchase requisitions, consultant agreements, vendor invoices, and client invoices.
- Oversee procurement efforts for the project including selection and negotiation with vendors, and management of subcontractors on the project in compliance with USAID and Abt Associates procurement regulations.
- Supervise institutional subcontracts and sub-agreements with assistance from the home office project team.
- Guide the administrative team on aspects of project annual work planning, and ensure that quality operational plans, budgets, and reports are submitted as per contract agreements.
- Ensure project budget projections, expenditure, tracking and reporting are in accordance with USAID and project requirements, procedures, and practices for compliance and audits.
- Create and maintain financial reporting and tracking systems, and provide financial performance updates on project activities.
- Develop and manage project banking procedures and transactions.
- Oversee all human resources management functions – recruitment, hiring, transition and termination; benefits administration; performance appraisal and ongoing performance management; leave tracking; rewards and recognition; disciplinary processes – in collaboration with Abt’s human resources department.
- Ensure staff, team members and consultants understand their roles and responsibilities and comply with contract requirements, USAID and Abt Associates’ HR policies and procedures for hiring, performance reviews, terminations, etc.
- Contribute to monthly and quarterly reporting processes, to enable the Team Leader to provide regular status and progress reports to USAID and Abt Associates.
- Liaison with Rockville-based Finance and Contracts Manager and International Accounting Manager on all operational and financial issues.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum), or a Master’s degree (desired) in business administration, finance, accounting, management, or other relevant field.
- At least 8 years of experience in financial and administrative management of large, complex international development projects; USAID experience required.
- Expertise in USAID rules and regulations for contract management required.
- Experience managing a team of finance and administration staff.
- Excellent financial management skills and knowledge of latest management tools and computer applications.
- Advanced organizational skills, and ability to set priorities and effectively multi-task.
- Strong analytical and computer skills, with emphasis on budgeting and financial analysis.
- Strong communications skills and proficiency in English required.
- (10+) years of experience with a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the OrganizationAbt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development.
Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients.
Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion.
Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations.
Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas.
In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Bethesda, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com