PartnerTechnology Bank for the LDCs (TBLDC)
Department/officeNYSC, SDC, Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio
Duty stationGebze, Turkey
Contract typeLocal ICA Support
DurationASAP - 31 December 2018 (Renewable)
Application period07-Aug-2018 to 21-Aug-2018
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information - Job-specific
The TBLDC is a UN entity in charge of promoting science, technology and innovation in the 47 LDCs. The Headquarters of the Technology Bank are located in Gebze, Turkey.
Within the framework of the delegated authority, the incumbent is assigned all or part of the following duties which are performed according to organizational needs and structure:
Provide overall administrative assistance to the TBLDC; assist with the preparation of office workplans, reports as well as personnel and financial management activities; assist in organizing meetings/workshops and coordinating travel arrangements; assist with the day-to-day office administration and procedures, including drafting routine correspondence.
1. Administrative Support
- Ensures the efficient and effective delivery of services and processes in full compliance with UN and UNOPS rules, regulations and policies;
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken;
- Provides administrative support for the organization of meetings, conferences, workshops, retreats;
- Provide overall assistance with the administration of the office: procedures, correspondence, etc.;
- Liaises with UN Secretariat and UNOPS on all administrative issues;
- Advises the MD and staff on UN and UNOPS rules and regulations;
- Assists the MD in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions;
- Consolidates data into financial reports;
- Performs petty cash management;
- Acts as the safety and security focal point;
- Manages liaison and coordination with local authorities on authorizations/privileges and immunities for the TBLDC personnel, office space and other administrative matters including on facilities management and utilities;
- Researches and retrieves statistical data from internal and external sources; prepares statistical charts, tables and reports, extracting data from various sources.
2. Travel, Protocol and Logistics
- Processes travel transactions (authorizations and claims)
- Provides information on air services, rates and travel schedules for specific itineraries;
- Organizes shipments, customs clearance arrangements, preparation of documents for the TBLDC shipments (received/sent), all necessary documentation, and implementation of follow-up actions;
- Prepares documentation for security clearances, processes hotel reservations, organizes airport pickups, hospitality, protocol, customs and immigration support;
- Provides support with respect to protocol issues and requests for official documentation, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Punctual delivery of official protocol certificates; arrangements with UN departments for all issues related to official documentation to be provided to/from international staff, such as visa requirements, work permit, security requirements, health, etc.;
- Arrangements with the relevant UN department/agencies for official documentation to be provided for import/export or transfer of goods;
- Provision of accurate and comprehensive information to staff on the supporting documents needed by staff and his/her dependents, and import/export or transfer of goods; updated list of the required documents made available to each staff member/unit;
- Individual monitoring sheet to track the status of submitted documentation for each staff member and dependents, ensuring that official documentation matches the announced schedule;
- Accurate and timely information on processes and pending issues to the concerned individuals/unit.
3. Inventory, Asset Management, Custodial, Common Premises, and General Support
- Conducts physical inventory checks, drafting periodic inventory and asset reports;
- Acts as Custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution;
- Conducts and reports on surveys of office maintenance needs;
- Administers logistics of meetings, workshops, conferences, retreats;
- Collects information for administrative surveys in support to the organization of common services.
- Supervises external contractor for transportation services and the processing of invoices.
5. Knowledge building and Knowledge sharing
- Support the organization and delivery of training and learning initiatives for personnel on Administration-related topics;
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks by synthesizing of lessons learnt and disseminating best practices in Administration;
- Contribute feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices;
- Maintains Technology Bank’s documentation including records and files, ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Diploma of secondary school is required.
- First University Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or equivalent disciplines is desirable but not required.
- In the absence of a degree, administrative certification is an asset
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience in general administrative, or operations’ support services in national or international public or corporate organizations.
- Experience in UN system organizations is desirable.
Proficiency in computers and office software packages (MS Office) and experience in handling of web-based management systems is required.Language
Fluency in written and oral English required.
Knowledge of French is an asset.Additional Information
Competitive pay based on qualifications and experience
UNOPS Key Competencies
Integrity & Inclusion
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading Self and Others
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA
Contract level: LICA-5
Contract duration: ASAP - 31 December 2018 (Renewable)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
About the Organization Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC)
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.