Position: Advisor, Criminal Law Reform Working Group
Nationality: American National (AN) or Third Country National (TCN)
Base of Operations: Kabul, Afghanistan
Required Clearance (to be obtained): Moderate Risk Public Trust (MRPT)
Tetra Tech seeks candidates to be considered for Advisor, Criminal Law Reform Working Group position on the INL-funded 5-year Justice Sector Support Program (JSSP II) in Afghanistan.
This program is designed to utilize international and Afghan advisors to train and build capacity for Afghan officials within the Ministry of Justice (MOJ), Attorney General’s Office (AGO), Supreme Court (SCT), Ministry of Women’s Affairs (MOWA), and other justice organizations through three main components: organizational capacity building, legislative reform and case management system.
The Advisor shall liaise with Afghan government officials and provide support to the USG (in Kabul and Washington) as well as other actors on the Afghanistan-based JSSP team. The Advisor shall assist in project development, monitoring and evaluation, and production of Deliverables under this SOW.
The Advisor shall actively participate in recruitment and selection of JSSP personnel based on position description qualifications (or equivalent with the permission of the INL/AP and INL/K Program Managers) through provision of significant input to the DC based program management team.
Duties: The Criminal Law Reform Working Group Advisor shall:
- Work with the Section Lead (SL) and Deputy Section Lead (DSL) in advising and assisting Ministry of Justice departments and justice system actors in effectively performing their functions;
- Identify needs within the Government of Afghanistan’s ministries in conjunction with the International Advisors and the Afghan Legal Consultants;
- Help to organize special projects;
- Help to coordinate donor efforts;
- Assist key departments in developing plans and projects to perform their functions and strengthen communications between central and provincial offices;
- Liaise with other offices and coordinate activities to achieve established objectives;
- Report to and perform related duties as assigned by the COT and DCOT-A;
- Establish and maintain relationships with key stakeholders including, but not limited to, local government officials, police and prosecutors, international organizations and Afghan organizations involved in the justice sector, and customary and traditional law actors;
- Prepare budgets, work plans, and statements of work, submit deliverables, conduct trainings;
- Rapidly respond to requests for information from INL/K and INL/AP;
- Help the team to organize special projects;
- Report to and perform related duties as assigned by the SL;
- Prepare a detailed briefing on how a law will impact the current justice system for any new criminal justice/justice-related legislation pending before Parliament;
- Represent JSSP in conferences, seminars and workshops, and prepare reports on the activities when needed, help the Legislative Tracking Advisor provide legal analysis, research and assistance to members of the MOJ Taqnin and JSSP LCB Taqnin Team in drafting criminal provisions;
- Draft minutes of meetings, workshops and conferences;
- Provide legal professional comments on the Penal Code to Criminal Law Reform Working Group (CLRWG) members;
- Perform other duties as directed.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience, including relevant leadership experience.
- A minimum of four years substantive experience in a field relevant to their position (ex: law reform, training, organizational change management, finance/budgeting, etc.).
- A minimum of two years international experience, including development programs.
- The candidate should demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the Afghan governmental structure and processes.
- A juris doctor or relevant master’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Excellent communication skills, including public speaking and writing.
- Superior interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to endure austere living conditions and the inherent danger of living and working in Afghanistan, including possibly living in tents, double bunks, dry hooches, etc.
- The ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. In addition, he or she must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to ApplyJSSP@tetratech.com referencing the job title and project name in the subject line as soon as possible. No phone calls, please.
About the Organization
Tetra Tech is a global, leading consulting firm providing practical and sustainable international development services. From promoting peace, stability, rule of law, and economic growth, to health and education, to improved natural resource management, Tetra Tech brings an integrated approach that is focused on building the capacity of communities and individuals to create strong, healthy, and resilient societies. With over 16,000 employees in over 400 offices across the globe, Tetra Tech’s capabilities encompass the full life cycle of solutions. Tetra Tech is committed to diversity and gender equality in all of its operations, both in the US and overseas. We strive to reflect these goals in our global mission and in our workforce. We encourage applications from women and underrepresented ethnic, racial, and cultural groups. Tetra Tech is proud to be an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer.