CRS field programs occasionally experience gaps in senior management staffing, due to staff transitions, vacations, surge needs, etc. Those gaps can significantly constrain CRS’ ability to respond to the needs of the most marginal. In addition, failure to fill gaps can lead to current staff being overextended. For these reasons, the Field Management Response Team (FMRT) was created as an innovative and responsive solution to filling critical short term (anywhere from 3 weeks to 4 months) staffing gaps in CRS field programs.
CRS offers opportunities in the FMRT for those needing flexibility in terms of location and level of effort.
- Location – FMRT advisors can be based anywhere in the world with the expectation that you will be willing to travel for your assignments with limited time in either CRS/Baltimore or from your home.
- Level of Effort – FMRT advisors have a variety of options ranging from Standard Full Time Regular Telecommuter (salaried) to Telecommuter Part Time 25 hours plus per week, 20 – 25 hours per week, and less than 20 hours per week (hourly). The level of effort determines your salary and benefits.
Note that previous experience with CRS is required for this position.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
* Serves with Integrity
* Models Stewardship
* Cultivates Constructive Relationships
* Promotes Learning
Potential Position-specific typical responsibilities:
Head of Programs:
As a member of the Country Program (CP) Senior Management Team, you will provide strategic direction, leadership, and management of the CP’s programming to ensure the establishment and successful implementation of high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable. Your leadership, management and knowledge will ensure that the CP delivers high-quality programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of its programming. As part of the Senior Management Team you will proactively manage security and mitigate security risks.
Head of Operations:
As a member of the Country Program’s Senior Management Team, you will provide leadership and management of the operational functions - Finance, Human Resources, Supply Chain Management, Administration, Information and Communication Technology, Security and Audit - in support of the Catholic Relief Services’ mission to serve the poor and vulnerable. You will promote stewardship of resources, ensure principled compliance, proactively manage risk, and lead operational improvements. As part of the Senior Management Team you will proactively manage security and mitigate security risks.
Head of Office:
You will manage and represent Catholic Relief Services’ activities to ensure implementation of high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable. You will ensure the development and effective management of operational systems and resources and the delivery of high-quality programming in coordination with the country program main office.
You ensure a high level of resource stewardship, strict financial accountability and financial risk management while ensuring the effectiveness and robustness of the Country Program (CP) and relevant partners’ financial management systems, processes, and practices in support of high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable. You anticipate and manage financial management services needs and delivery challenges, and identify and implement improvement solutions, as needed, to minimize CP and partners’ exposure to financial risk.
Business Development Specialist:
You will support the expansion and diversification of revenue from institutional donors and non-traditional funding sources to achieve Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) strategic objectives. You will operate as a member of the Country Program (CP) and/or region’s Business Development Team, providing direct support to strategic growth opportunities as well as helping to strengthen CRS’ Business Development-related systems, processes, relationships and staff capacities. The Business Development Specialist will support the agency’s competitive pursuit of institutional donor resources.
Assignments will primarily replace various positions and the relevant JD will generally suffice as a scope of work.
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: CRS staff in countries of assignment, Regional Director and Regional Program and Operations staff.
- External: Catholic Church Officials, Catholic Church agencies, local partner organizations, host country government agencies, donor agencies, international and national non-governmental organizations, UN agencies, foreign governments, vendors.
* Masters in International Development/Relations or related field.
* 5 or more years of progressively responsible experience in private voluntary organization (PVO) leadership and management.
* Previous experience managing a large-scale PVO country program or project. Experience with CRS required.
* Proven ability to negotiate and work with local Church and government.
* Strong interpersonal, communication and organization skills as well as good judgment, vision and maturity.
* Ability to operate successfully amidst complexity and uncertainty
* Demonstrated effectiveness with short- and long-term planning, as well as financial, human resource, and program management.
* Experience with institutional strengthening and partnership building helpful.
* Ability to work effectively in diverse environments and under pressure.
* Demonstrated understanding of the importance of staff development.
* Fluency in English, and relevant foreign language additionally preferred.
This position is principally a travelling position and working outside the country of record is to be expected.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
Internal applicants are encouraged to apply within the first 10 days of posting.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.