As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
The African Union (AU), established as a unique Pan African continental body, was charged with the responsibility to coordinate and provide overall guidance for the negotiations on the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA). The AfCFTA entered into force on May 30, 2019 and implementation is set to start in January 2021.
GIZ supports the AfCFTA negotiation process through technical support to the relevant AU organs. In order to complete outstanding issues on the phase two investment protocol and prepare a successful implementation of the agreement, the AU Commission Department of Trade and Industry requires assistance in the form of a technical expert on investment. The project in support of the AfCFTA works in close collaboration with the Department of Trade and Industries of the African Union and partners to support the content of free trade negotiations in the areas of trade in goods and services, trade facilitation, customs cooperation as well as on the investment protocol.
- Provide appropriate technical and other AfCFTA-related advice to the chair and Member State representatives participating in technical meetings on investment
- Manage short-term experts to undertake subject-specific research into areas of concern to Member State representatives participating in technical meetings on investment
- Undertake technical analysis of the AfCFTA negotiation process, particularly the negotiation of Member States’ specific schedules and of regulatory cooperation frameworks
- Provide relevant and required documentation for AfCFTA Member State representatives participating in technical meetings on the investment protocol
- Ensure the timely production and dissemination of minutes of technical meetings on investment
- Produce the required inputs on issues relating to investment protocol negotiations to the AfCFTA support unit
- Provide advice on dialogue and consensus-building activities with relevant services sector stakeholders, incl. private sector and regulatory authorities
- Collaborate and liaise with the GIZ management team on the program management and further development of the GIZ support to the AfCFTA
- Master´s degree in International Trade, Trade Law, Economics, Public Policy, Public Administration or other relevant post graduate Degree
- Many years of experience or more in Trade Policy in Africa including a deep understanding of African regional integration
- Several years of experience or more working on Investment Policy including a deep understanding of the Investment Protocol
- Demonstrated experience in working with services sector stakeholders, including from private sector and regulatory authorities
- Familiarity with and experience in African Union policy frameworks, institutions and processes relevant to the trade and industry agenda
- Excellent management and interpersonal skills, high flexibility and capacity to work under pressure
- Experience in international investment or competition policy
- Fluency in English
The GIZ offers an additional benefits package for deployments in fragile security situations. You can find further information in the Guide to the Collective Agreement on Assignment Conditions in Fragile Contexts.
Please use the following link for information about living and working in Ethiopia.
The security situation is tense. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. GIZ runs a professional security risk management system in the field of deployment. The freedom of movement is restricted. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
GIZ operates worldwide. As part of the GIZ team, you are prepared to take on international assignments and pass on your expertise.
This job is suited to a full or a part-time position.
There is the option of an earlier contract start.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
A prerequisite for the conclusion of the agreement is the lifting of the restrictions currently in force in the company on the possibilities for travel and business trips in order to contain the worldwide spread of the Covid-19 virus.
About the Organization
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.