Position: Advisor, Policy and Planning (OCB)
Nationality: American National (AN) or Third Country National (TCN)
Base of Operations: Kabul, Afghanistan
Required Clearance (to be obtained): Moderate Risk Public Trust (MRPT)
Tetra Tech seeks candidates to be considered for a Advisor, Policy and Planning position on the INL-funded 5-year Justice Sector Support Program (JSSP II) in Afghanistan.
This program is designed to utilize international and Afghan advisors to train and build capacity for Afghan officials within the Ministry of Justice (MOJ), Attorney General’s Office (AGO), Supreme Court (SCT), Ministry of Women’s Affairs (MOWA), and other justice organizations through three main components: organizational capacity building, legislative reform and case management system.
The Advisor shall liaise with Afghan government officials and provide support to the USG (in Kabul and Washington) as well as other actors on the Afghanistan-based JSSP team. The Advisor shall assist in project development, monitoring and evaluation, and production of Deliverables under this SOW.
The Advisor shall actively participate in recruitment and selection of JSSP personnel based on position description qualifications (or equivalent with the permission of the INL/AP and INL/K Program Managers) through provision of significant input to the DC based program management team.
Duties: The Policy and Planning Advisor shall:
- Assist counterpart Afghan government officials to develop policies, strategies and planning systems
- Provide technical supervision, training and mentoring to all JSSP employees assigned to policy and planning in the Afghan justice institutions
- Supervise, plan and conduct initial assessments of policy and planning functions in Afghan justice institutions
- Serve as the subject matter expert (SME) on policy and planning functions for JSSP leadership
- Help develop training and mentoring programs on policy and planning functions for Afghan justice institution officials
- Supervise the conduct of training and mentoring programs on policy and planning functions for Afghan justice institutions
- Help the Afghan justice institutions to devise effective mechanisms for implementation of their long term strategies
- Assist the Afghan justice institutions to conduct interdepartmental communication and coordination regarding policy and planning functions
- Help build Afghan justice institution capacity by establishing mentoring relationships with key Afghan officials involved in policy development and planning
- Develop and maintain expertise in policy development and planning within the Afghan Attorney General’s Office, the Ministries of Justice and Women’s Affairs, and the Supreme Court of Afghanistan
- Conduct necessary liaison with other relevant US Government, international and intergovernmental rule of law programs
- Help develop the professional skills of JSSP Afghan teammates
- Ensure the policy and planning departments of each Afghan justice institution is fully engaged in transition activities and building capacity and achieving self-sufficiency.
- Provide regular required reports on work activities and all other reports as required by JSSP leadership
- Perform any and all other duties as assigned by JSSP leadership
- A minimum of five years of professional experience, including relevant leadership experience
- A minimum of four years substantive experience in a field relevant to their position (ex: law reform, training, organizational change management, finance/budgeting, etc.)
- A minimum of two years international experience, including development programs
- The candidate should demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the Afghan governmental structure and processes
- Must have a bachelor’s degree, with juris doctor or relevant master’s degree from an accredited institution preferred
- Excellent communication skills, including public speaking and writing
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Willingness to endure austere living conditions and the inherent danger of living and working in Afghanistan, including possibly living in tents, double bunks, dry hooches, etc.
- The ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. In addition, he or she must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours.
- Provide past professional or personal experience that demonstrates an ability to work creatively and effectively in stressful situations while maintaining a positive attitude
Please submit a cover letter and resume to ApplyJSSP@tetratech.com referencing the position and project name in the subject line as soon as possible. No phone calls, please.
About the Organization
Tetra Tech is a global, leading consulting firm providing practical and sustainable international development services. From promoting peace, stability, rule of law, and economic growth, to health and education, to improved natural resource management, Tetra Tech brings an integrated approach that is focused on building the capacity of communities and individuals to create strong, healthy, and resilient societies. With over 16,000 employees in over 400 offices across the globe, Tetra Tech’s capabilities encompass the full life cycle of solutions. Tetra Tech is committed to diversity and gender equality in all of its operations, both in the US and overseas. We strive to reflect these goals in our global mission and in our workforce. We encourage applications from women and underrepresented ethnic, racial, and cultural groups. Tetra Tech is proud to be an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer.