Position: Subject Matter Advisor, Project Management and Proposal Writing (OCB)
Nationality: American National (AN) or Third Country National (TCN)
Base of Operations: Kabul, Afghanistan
Required Clearance (to be obtained): Moderate Risk Public Trust (MRPT)
Tetra Tech seeks candidates to be considered for a Project Management and Proposal Writing (OCB) position on the INL-funded 5.5-year Justice Sector Support Program (JSSP II) in Afghanistan.
This program is designed to utilize international and Afghan advisors to train and build capacity for Afghan officials within the Ministry of Justice (MOJ), Attorney General’s Office (AGO), Supreme Court (SCT), Ministry of Women’s Affairs (MOWA), and other justice organizations through four main components: organizational capacity building, legislative reform, case management system, and gender mainstreaming and protection of vulnerable groups.
The Subject Matter Advisors (SMAs) shall liaise with Afghan government officials and provide support to the USG (in Kabul and Washington) as well as other actors on the Afghanistan-based JSSP team. The SMAs shall assist in project development, monitoring and evaluation, and production of Deliverables under this SOW.
The SMAs shall actively participate in recruitment and selection of JSSP personnel based on position description qualifications (or equivalent with the permission of the INL/AP and INL/K Program Managers) through provision of significant input to the DC based program management team.
The Project Management and Proposal Writing Advisor shall:
- Assist the justice institutions in enhancing project management skills and writing project proposals by gathering information on project nature, objectives/ outcomes, outputs, deliverables, project implementation, human resource, budget and costing, monitoring and evaluation, timeline, risks and issues and other required information
- Coordinate with the JSSP embedded staff in assessing current practices and procedures within the justice institutions
- Help the justice institutions in determining proposal concept by identifying and clarifying opportunities and needs
- Assist justice institutions in coordinating requirements for the project from different stakeholders involved in the project proposal writing
- Develop training materials on project management and writing project proposals
- Build capacity by providing day-to-day mentoring in the ministry on project proposal writing
- Provide regular reporting on work activities
- Conduct training and mentoring in the justice institutions
- Maintain current knowledge of Budget, Human Resource, National Priority Program (NPP), Ministry Strategy, Ministry Policy and other significant documents related to ministry that would be helpful in developing project proposals
- Liaise with the Ministry of Economy, Civil Service Institute, Donors and other agencies as needed
- Particularly assist local national project management and proposal writing advisors with mentoring institutional staff regarding the improvement of management skills and writing of proposals necessary to implement in-house training
- Develop capacity of JSSP local national colleagues to help in transition
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Section Lead, Technical Director, Deputy Chief of Team-Advisors and Chief of Team
- A minimum of five years of professional experience, including relevant leadership experience
- A minimum of four years substantive experience in a field relevant to their position (ex: law reform, training, organizational change management, finance/budgeting, etc.)
- A minimum of two years international experience, including development programs
- The candidate should demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the Afghan governmental structure and processes
- A juris doctor or relevant master’s degree from an accredited institution
- Excellent communication skills, including public speaking and writing
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Willingness to endure austere living conditions and the inherent danger of living and working in Afghanistan, including possibly living in tents, double bunks, dry hooches, etc.
- The ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. In addition, he or she must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours.
- Provide past professional or personal experience that demonstrates an ability to work creatively and effectively in stressful situations while maintaining a positive attitude
- Experience developing positive, professional relationships with clients, colleagues, or business partners. Interpersonal skills are tremendously important as SMAs will be the primary interlocutors with Afghan government officials, and must set a positive, motivating and constructive tone for mentees/advisees. Superior interpersonal skills shall be understood to include the ability to interact in a constructive, cooperative, and harmonious manner; to work effectively as a team player; to establish positive relationships and gain the confidence of others.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to ApplyJSSP@tetratech.com referencing the position and project name in the subject line as soon as possible. No phone calls, please.
Tetra Tech is committed to diversity and gender equality in all of its operations - in the U.S and overseas. We strive to reflect these goals in our global mission and in our workplace. We encourage applications from women and underrepresented ethnic, racial and cultural groups. Tetra Tech is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.