Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is seeking a dynamic, results-focused professional for the position of Quality Assurance/Improvement (QA/QI) Advisor for the Technical Support Services Project (TSSP), a President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)-funded project in Tanzania. The goal of the project is to provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly, and Children (MOHCDGEC) and to Public Health Institutions (PHIs) in Tanzania, including the National AIDS Control Program (NACP), the Zanzibar Integrated HIV, TB, and Leprosy Program (ZIHTLP), and the National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) to lead and manage the country’s HIV response and build sustainable health systems.
The QA/QI Advisor will provide technical assistance (TA) to the MOHCDGEC and to prioritized PHIs to institutionalize QA/QI standards and processes through coordination and implementation of the Star Rating quality assessment and improvement program in health facilities delivering HIV services. The QA/QI Advisor will also support the development/adaptation and application of QA/QI data management systems to track the implementation of health facility quality improvement (QI) plans and other HIV/AIDS service quality improvement activities in PHI programs.
Under the guidance of the TSSP Chief of Party and the MOHCDGEC QA/QI Director, and in close collaboration with CDC, the TSSP QA/QI Advisor will deliver integrated TA to the MOHCDGEC and PHIs to:
- Develop a system for monitoring and evaluating the implementation of the health facility QI plan (QIP) and ensure that it is linked to appropriate national data management systems, such as the District Health Information System (DHIS2)
- Contribute to the development of a common platform for QA/QI efforts across different health interventions, including but not limited to HIV/AIDS, TB and Leprosy, maternal health, neonatal and child health, and malaria programs
- Support the adoption of systems using data for QA/QI and monitoring HIV services outcomes of health facilities by MOHCDGEC and PHIs
- Strengthen the MOHCDGEC’s capacity to include implementation science (operational research) of QI activities and to use data for management and decision-making in QA/QI
- Support the MOHCDGEC Quality Improvement Directorate in institutionalizing the Star Rating quality assessment and improvement system nationwide, with a focus on the sites offering HIV services
- Provide TA to develop generic and automated QIPs linked to Star Rating assessment results
- Develop cross-cutting QI training programs and materials in coordination with stakeholders to help ensure compliance with the “Stepwise Certification Towards Accreditation-SWACA” quality standards
- Assist with the organization and facilitation of national workshops and other activities to review and update QI standards and policies, trainings, training materials, tools, and the implementation of QI/QA activities, including updating norms and standards
- Develop QI tools and instruction guides to improve monitoring, standards of care, and quality of HIV/AIDS care practice
- Provide technical expertise and support to develop a pathway towards accreditation
- Participate in technical working groups (quality management) and other information sharing/technical forums
- Provide technical advice and expertise to the Directorate of QI in project related areas that require assistance
- Perform other duties appropriate to the position as assigned by the TSSP Chief of Party or his/her designate
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced degree in medicine, pharmacy, public health, social science, or other relevant area; clinical background
- Minimum of 5 years of experience providing TA to government agencies in developing and strengthening QA/QI in Tanzania, including assessment of HIV/AIDS care practices at health facilities, development of QI plans, and QI capacity building programs
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience developing or implementing QI data management systems
- Knowledge of the Tanzanian health system and structures for the provision of HIV services
- Knowledge of the Tanzania Star Rating Big Results Now (BRN) QI standards and the health facility accreditation framework
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communications, as well as teamwork and partnering abilities
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Word, Excel, and Access
- Fluency in English and Swahili
About the Organization
Management Sciences for Health, an international nonprofit organization, is dedicated to closing the gap between what is known and what is done about public health problems. MSH saves lives and improves health by helping public and private organizations throughout the world to effectively manage people, medicines, money, and information. Working from more than 30 country offices and our US headquarters, our staff from 65 nations is highly regarded for its technical expertise, integrity, and commitment to making a lasting difference in health.
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is a nonprofit international health organization composed of more than 2,000 people from 73 nations. Their mission is to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Together with their partners, they are helping managers and leaders in developing countries to create stronger management systems that improve health services for the greatest health impact.
MSH takes an integrated approach to building high-impact sustainable programs that address critical challenges in leadership, health systems management, human resources, and medicines. Simply put, they support stronger health systems for greater health impact.
Their expertise in these areas falls into the broad categories of management functions—for example, leadership and governance or pharmaceutical management—and health areas like tuberculosis or maternal, newborn, and child health. They apply their expertise by
- Partnering with governments, local organizations, and communities in developing nations to build their own capacity for long-term health impact;
- Providing global leadership in critical areas of health management and health care delivery;
- Bringing the best of MSH from around the globe to the people we serve, working as One MSH with a focus on lasting health system improvements.
Leadership, Governance, & Management
They work with in-country partners to build stronger health systems to improve:
- the management and leadership of priority health programs, health organizations, and multisectoral partnerships such as The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, developing a critical mass of managers at all levels of the health system who can lead and inspire teams to achieve results;
- the management systems of health organizations in the public and private sector, transferring practical approaches and skills to ensure that management structures contribute to sustainable organizational success;
- the governance and management of health organizations and multisectoral partnerships, facilitating change and transferring knowledge to enable organizations to administer their resources efficiently and scale up their services.
Health Service Delivery
MSH combines extensive public health expertise, proven service delivery approaches, and evidence-based interventions in five critical areas:
- HIV & AIDS
- Maternal, newborn, and child health
- Family planning and reproductive health
- Other communicable diseases, including malaria and pandemic and avian influenza
Human Resources for Health
MSH helps governments develop multisectoral strategies and policies to plan and manage their health workforces. We use a comprehensive approach that addresses all the facets of human resources for health needed to achieve an adequate supply of well-trained and motivated health workers. MSH offers capabilities in leadership, human resource management, education, partnerships, policy, and finance to achieve these goals.
Vital to our success is a participatory approach to project design and implementation, which cultivates broad-based support from all stakeholders. We also build and improve infrastructure and local capacity to effectively purchase, store, deliver, and use quality essential medicines.
Health Care Financing
MSH helps governments and NGOs assess their current financial situation and systems, understand service costs, and develop initiatives to use existing funds more effectively and generate additional revenue—all with the goal of supporting a nation’s health priorities.
MSH has developed proven methods for rapidly strengthening the analysis and use of existing health data—normally at the province, district, and facility levels—without revising existing recording and reporting requirements. With an emphasis on learning through action, district teams undertake assessments of health services, identify gaps in performance, and design solutions to support better decision-making and, therefore, better management of improved services.
MSH has worked closely with the Health Metrics Network of the WHO to develop a comprehensive approach for enhancing the performance of health information systems and data by employing a practical, strategic planning process that can be carried out by national working groups.