Position: Advisor, TAQNIN/ Legislative Tracking
Nationality: American National (AN) or Third Country National (TCN)
Base of Operations: Kabul, Afghanistan
Required Clearance (to be obtained): Moderate Risk Public Trust (MRPT)
Tetra Tech seeks candidates to be considered for a Advisor, TAGNIN/Legislative Tracking position on the INL funded 5-year Justice Sector Support Program (JSSP II) in Afghanistan.
This program is designed to utilize international and Afghan advisors to train and build capacity for Afghan officials within the Ministry of Justice (MOJ), Attorney General’s Office (AGO), Supreme Court (SCT), Ministry of Women’s Affairs (MOWA), and other justice organizations through three main components: organizational capacity building, legislative reform and case management system.
The Advisor shall liaise with Afghan government officials and provide support to the USG (in Kabul and Washington) as well as other actors on the Afghanistan-based JSSP team. The Advisor shall assist in project development, monitoring and evaluation, and production of Deliverables under this SOW.
The Advisor shall actively participate in recruitment and selection of JSSP personnel based on position description qualifications (or equivalent with the permission of the INL/AP and INL/K Program Managers) through provision of significant input to the DC based program management team
Duties: The Taqnin Team Advisor/Legislative Tracking Advisor shall:
- Provide technical assistance to Afghan legislative working groups with a criminal law/justice related nexus
- Provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Justice on all legislative related issues such as training on legislative drafting and international conventions
- Lead team of JSSP Afghan nationals to perform JSSP’s co-secretariat duties for the Criminal Procedure Code Working Group (CPCWG), a group of Afghan officials and international experts currently engaged in drafting a guideline for the purposes of implementing revisions to the new Afghan Criminal Procedure Code
- Travel to meeting venues that are security risks
- For any new criminal justice/justice-related legislation pending in the Ministry of Justice or before Parliament, prepare a detailed briefing on how the law will impact the justice system
- Track legislation as it progresses through the legislative process
- Prepare detailed briefings on working group meetings
- Develop training materials as appropriate
- Build awareness of criminal law and justice-related legislative proposals
- Provide regular reporting on work activities
- Work with JSSP translators and edit English translations to ensure the documents are the highest quality suitable for distribution to INL and the international community
- Maintain current knowledge of National Priority Program (NPP), National Justice Sector Strategy, Ministerial Strategies, Ministerial Policies, and INL’s Mission in Rule of Law Objectives and other significant documents related to pending legislation
- Provide legal analysis and research and assist members of Taqnin in drafting criminal provisions
- Supervise the LN Taqnin Team
- Mentor and develop capacity of JSSP local national colleagues
- Assist with procurement and budgeting
- Perform tasks outside of normal job duties when requested, such as filling in for colleagues when they are absent
- Perform multiple administrative tasks including logging of hours worked each day
- Perform any other duties as assigned
- A minimum of five years of professional experience, including relevant leadership experience.
- A minimum of four years substantive experience in a field relevant to their position (ex: law reform, training, organizational change management, finance/budgeting, etc.).
- A minimum of two years international experience, including development programs.
- The candidate should demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the Afghan governmental structure and processes.
- A juris doctor or relevant master’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Excellent communication skills, including public speaking and writing.
- Superior interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to endure austere living conditions and the inherent danger of living and working in Afghanistan, including possibly living in tents, double bunks, dry hooches, etc.
- The ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. In addition, he or she must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to ApplyJSSP@tetratech.com referencing the position and project name in the subject line as soon as possible. No phone calls, please.
About the Organization
Tetra Tech is a global, leading consulting firm providing practical and sustainable international development services. From promoting peace, stability, rule of law, and economic growth, to health and education, to improved natural resource management, Tetra Tech brings an integrated approach that is focused on building the capacity of communities and individuals to create strong, healthy, and resilient societies. With over 16,000 employees in over 400 offices across the globe, Tetra Tech’s capabilities encompass the full life cycle of solutions. Tetra Tech is committed to diversity and gender equality in all of its operations, both in the US and overseas. We strive to reflect these goals in our global mission and in our workforce. We encourage applications from women and underrepresented ethnic, racial, and cultural groups. Tetra Tech is proud to be an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer.