The Global Health Advocacy Incubator (GHAI), a program of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, draws on lessons from tobacco control and its growing experience on other public health issues to support policy change campaigns around the globe to improve health.
GHAI is a partner on the Resolve Initiative (https://www.resolvetosavelives.org/preventing-epidemics/) which seeks to enhance public health infrastructure to prevent and respond to epidemics. Resolve partners will be carrying out technical assistance and helping government to develop and implement national action plans. GHAI’s role is to support those efforts through policy advocacy and political support, working closely with local partners/civil society organizations (CSOs) to push for specific policy objectives.
GHAI requires a dynamic individual to serve as Advocacy Coordinator (AC) for the Resolve/Preventing Epidemics program in Nigeria. The Advocacy Coordinator must be generally familiar with issues surrounding global health security. He/she will focus on advocacy support: mapping/understanding the political landscape and identifying local partners with whom the Resolve/GHAI team can work to push for policy action.
The ideal Advocacy Coordinator will have experience working with the government of Nigeria and have an excellent sense of the political factors that impact policy development and passage. He/she should have knowledge of government processes (especially budgetary processes) and proven ability to develop and work in partnership with a range of stakeholders. This opportunity is based in Abuja and is currently projected for a period of six months. An extension of this timeline is open for review.
This specialist will serve as GHAI’s Advocacy Coordinator for Resolve activities in Nigeria, with the following responsibilities:
- Apply a strong working knowledge of the Nigerian political and administrative systems, processes and players to identify opportunities to advocate for changes in budget and other policies related to preventing epidemics;
- In consultation with the GHAI Resolve Team, support the development and operationalization of the approved Nigeria advocacy strategy;
- Help to identify CSO partners, and support those advocates to build and maintain productive partnerships (at the community, national, and government levels) to ensure support for the passage of strong policies and implementation processes;
- Support grantees and partners to formulate policy objectives, strategies, and timelines for advocacy campaigns targeted at passing laws or regulations, or implementing policies in line with country strategy;
- Support, where appropriate, in the development and strengthening of a Resolve coalition in Nigeria;
- Arrange regular meetings between grantees to ensure synergy as well as smooth implementation of approved initiatives;
- Represent GHAI/Resolve at key meetings with partners, policymakers and grantees and ensure that GHAI/Resolve policy positions and priorities are fully communicated to all stakeholders
- Hold regular strategy discussion meetings with the GHAI Resolve team to discuss progress of work;
- Produce quality and timely reports on activities and other deliverables for the assigned portfolio of work and report against established targets; and
- Perform any other duties as might be requested by the GHAI Resolve Team.
Anticipated timeline: to begin on/about June 1 for a period of six months, with opportunity for renewal.
- Strong leadership skills and experience in leading a policy change campaign. An experienced manager with strategic thinking and good analytical and influencing skills.
- Strong sense of ownership for every deliverable and ability to deal with complexity under minimal supervision.
- Should have stature to engage with senior government officials and politicians on policy dialogue.
- Proven ability to develop partnerships and build consensus with multiple stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Strong external representational skills.
- Strong management skills; well-organized and adheres strictly to timelines.
- Master’s degree in public health, management or related field with 15 years of related policy advocacy experience
- Strong understanding of government processes, systems and policies, at both national and state levels
- Prior experience with building partnerships and engaging with multiple stakeholders; should have liaised at the highest levels of government, bureaucrats and politicians
- Prior experience in developing and implementing advocacy campaigns
Interested and qualified applicants should email a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Please reference the code: AC-NIGERIA in the subject line of your email. NOTE: The is a PART-TIME employment opportunity currently for six months.