SCOPE OF WORK
Senior Coalition Advisor
Senior Coalition Advisor
Period of Performance On/About (From – To)
Maximum Level of Effort
72 Days LOE
Base of Operations
position reports to
Chief of Party
DAI is implementing the USAID funded Musharikat project across Afghanistan, working in all 34 provinces with the goal of increasing the equality and empowerment of women throughout the country. Musharikat provides opportunities for women’s rights activists and groups to jointly identify and carry-out discreet advocacy and public awareness campaigns designed to influence local, provincial and national public policies banning harmful social practices, advance women’s welfare and opportunities by specifically building a constituency supportive of women’s rights.
Musharikat engages women across the country to ensure that their perspectives and priorities are considered during the drafting and implementation of laws and policies related to issue areas that correspond with the eight Musharikat coalitions, namely: Access to Justice (AJ), Women’s Political Participation (WPP), Access to Healthcare (AH), Access to Education (AE), Access to Economic Opportunities (AEO), Violence Against Women (VAW), Women in Peace Process (WIP), and Harassment of Women and Girls (HWG). Working through these coalitions, Musharikat’s activities address a variety of indicators, including: 1) the number of legal instruments drafted, proposed or adopted with USG assistance designed to promote gender equality or non-discrimination against women or girls at the national or sub-national level, and 2) the number of civil society organizations that participate in legislative proceedings and/or engage in advocacy with national legislature and its committees.
The Senior Coalition Advisor will be responsible for outlining and initiating a plan focused on the achievement of these two project indicators and effectively furthering the Musharikat’s priorities through direct implementation and hands-on field consultation with coalitions. He/she will also be responsible for employing or supporting a range of advocacy methodologies including event planning, event implementation, legislation/regulation advocacy and drafting, media messaging and execution, and coalition development and management. Additional responsibilities include working with Musharikat staff, volunteers, coalitions and partner organizations to build support for policy issues.
The Senior Coalition Advisor’s responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Review all elements of the eight coalition strategies to ensure they are designed to achieve maximum results according to the desired advocacy outcomes, and according to Musharikat indicator targets, and make recommendations for improvement as necessary.
- Lead/guide Musharikat staff and Coalition activists in a process to: review/set public policy priorities and goals; assess the enabling environment and assist in the development of strategic campaign plans according to these priorities; review applicable legislation/regulations and propose revisions that may addressed through coalition advocacy strategies; provide guidance on strategic campaigns to advance advocacy priorities.
- Provide training to staff, all coalitions or individual coalitions as needs are identified;
- Provide individualized resources to coalitions as needs are identified and facilitate the sharing of best practices across the country.
- Identify research, studies, and/or other analysis of issues/policies/legislation pertaining to the Musharikat Coalition priorities; use these to inform assessments of Coalition strategies, develop support materials, draft testimony, or related activities as needed to advance the Musharikat’s public policy agenda; and guide Musharikat technical staff to carry out similar efforts.
- Liaise with partners and stakeholders to strengthen relationships and catalyze opportunities to advance the Musharikat’s public policy priorities.
Location of Assignment: Kabul, Afghanistan
- Master’s degree in relevant field and at least 6 years of experience; or a Bachelor’s degree and at least 8 years of experience
- Demonstrated experience developing and leading efforts to influence government policy or legislation through issue-based advocacy and/or grass-roots campaigns.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, presentation and representational skills.
- Experience in gender sensitive programming, operating in Muslim contexts, and implementing civil society programs, preferred.
- Demonstrable professional oral presentation and concise writing skills in English are required (FSI S4/R4 proficiency in English required).
- Prior experience implementing USAID or other donor funded activities in Afghanistan or similar conflict zone preferred.
- Knowledge of USAID rules, regulations and procedures for contractor compliance preferred.
CONDITIONS OF WORK REQUIREMENTS:
Work and living facilities are in high security zones with frequent security drills and protocols and limited access to medical facilities. General work environment and living quarters requires ability to walk numerous flights of stairs on a daily basis. Security protocols require the individual in this position to be able to quickly climb multiple flights of stairs while wearing 30 lbs. of personal protective equipment, walk swiftly or run across uneven terrain without assistance, and enter and exit project vehicles without assistance.