Innovation for Change (I4C) is a global network of people and organisations who want to connect, partner and learn together to defend and strengthen civic space and overcome restrictions to our basic freedoms of assembly, association and speech. We are a community-led network inspired by ideas, methods, and technologies from across different sectors. We work together on advocacy, research, network building, education and training, fundraising, digital literacy and technology development. Our six connected regional hubs are growing in both physical and online spaces across Africa, Central Asia, East Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, the Middle East and North Africa and South Asia. Here, people exchange ideas and share their successes, challenges and opportunities in incubating social change and building sustainable solutions.
Innovation for Change Africa Hub
Launched in 2017 and based in Nairobi, the Africa Hub is a vital new physical and online space for regional ideas and social innovations, powered by its dynamic, growing community of civic space advocates from Civil Society Organisations, technologists and cross-sectoral partners. The Hub is working to strengthen the capacity of civil society and through home-grown African solutions as well as being part of a global network that offers network members access to the latest thinking, resources and collaborations.
Strategy and governance
- Work with the Board to deliver the 2017 programme and contribute to the refinement and reformulation of planned outputs and activities, where necessary
- Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the activities and expenditures of the Hub and its requirements
- Work with the I4C Helper Hub team including Programme Officer, Technology, Communications and Advocacy experts who will provide support to the Africa Hub and network
Africa network growth
- Recruitment and co-ordination of five regional connectors
- Identify and manage partnerships with like-minded organizations for cooperation and support to the Hub.
- Manage Communications Officer in developing and deliver a Communications and outreach Strategy that grows online and offline membership
- Ensure the implementation of the Hub’s mandate, with responsibility for the overall design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting of all programs undertaken by the Hub
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the Hub
- Supervise the financial management of the Hub, including financial planning, budget monitoring, procurement and financial and grant reporting
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the Hub, including human resources, including recruitment, inductions, staff performance, salary planning, staff benefits, staff development and training
- Overseeing the setup and upkeep of the Hub database, and producing monthly reports from the database. Ensure the registration, compilation of information and other data concerning all service seekers and users.
Required qualifications and skills
- At least 4-6 years of progressive experience in running and implementing projects
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline (e.g Social Science, Law, Politics, Economics and Human Rights).
- Knowledge of the socio-economic and political dynamics as well as human rights mechanisms in the African region
- Proven track record in African network development in sectors including civil society, human rights advocacy and technology
- Knowledge of human resources management, financial management, and project management
- Knowledge of communications strategy and proficient in use of social media and various web platforms.
- Fluency in English and French
- Problem solver with a positive attitude
- Highly organised with attention to detail
- Demonstrated experience in working on use of new technologies to advance human rights work, civil society space and innovative approaches
- Proven track record in workshop facilitation, team and partnership building with stakeholders.
- A Post-Graduate degree in related fields.
- A third language commonly spoken across the region