Bioversity International (BI) needs your expertise to develop new business models for commercial online seed sales. The centre was founded in 1974 and is a member of the CGIAR Consortium of international agricultural research centers. Bioversity International’s research activities focus on maintaining and utilising the biodiversity of crops and wild plants to improve food security. One of the challenges is to offer the commercial seed producers a wider range of varieties in order to safeguard biodiversity. An innovative digital platform developed by Bioversity enables the efficient recording of the on-farm performance of a wide range of traditional and improved varieties and the associated preferences of farmers. The feedback from the analysis of this information via the digital platform enables individual farmers to efficiently select the best varieties for their conditions. Also, this same information can enable seed producers to estimate demand for individual varieties thereby improving the planning and reducing the risks of seed multiplication and distribution. In this way, the platform will enable the use of a wider range of varieties, using financially sustainable market mechanisms. Using broader portfolios of varieties and crops in turn will lead to tangible benefits for farmers, consumers and agricultural biodiversity conservation.
Your tasks will involve:
- Developing a viable model for distribution of seeds for the IT- supported seed production and distribution in Ethiopia
- Identifying appropriate partners from the private sector and civil society for effective cooperation
- Developing the model for other potential markets in Africa, Asia and Latin America
- A university degree in business administration, agricultural economics, or a similar qualification
- Several years of experience in agricultural business and/or marketing
- Experience working with agricultural cooperatives or farmer associations, preferably also in an African context
- Good knowledge of current trends in digital customer service
- Willingness to travel regularly
- Business fluency in English
- In addition you have the citizenship of an EU member state
What we offer:
Varied tasks, which you will be expected to carry out self-responsibly in an international environment
• Cooperation with other development co-operation organisations
• Professional preparation for your assignment abroad
• Local employment contract as an integrated expert for an initial period of two years - contract may be extended
• Attractive monthly top-up payments in addition to local salary and social benefits
About the Organization
Do you want to put your know-how and skills to use where they are needed? Do you want to work abroad and experience different cultures? Then the Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM) is your ideal partner for finding a responsible position in the field of development policy. We place highly qualified staff with employers in Asia, Africa, Latin America and Europe.
CIM is jointly run by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH and the German Federal Employment Agency. It has been providing a combination of development and labour market policy expertise since 1980.