The QED Group, under the SIMPLE monitoring and evaluation project with USAID/Egypt, is seeking to engage the services of a local Egyptian consultant specialized in monitoring and evaluation with experience in agriculture, agribusiness agricultural school training projects to serve on an evaluation team responsible for the design and implementation of an end-of-term performance evaluation of the USAID/Egypt Agribusiness for Rural Development and Increasing Incomes (ARDII) project. The evaluation is expected to take place from second half of January 2018 through mid-April 2018 with an estimated level of effort of up to 45 work days based on a six-day work week in Egypt.
Agriculture is the largest employer of all economic sectors in Egypt, providing more than 24% of total employment and 40% of total female employment in 2015 according to CAPMAS. Consequently, agriculture is the most important source of income and employment to the rural poor.
Increasing smallholder farmers’ productivity and income is a critical need if agriculture is to reach its full potential. The vast majority of Egyptian smallholder farmers follow traditional cropping patterns that have been used for decades and remain focused on local food crop production. In recent years, substantial USAID/Egypt resources have been allocated toward increasing the volume of high value horticultural crop production for both the local and export markets.
The goals of the Agribusiness for Rural Development and Increasing Incomes (ARDII) project, under which both activities are authorized, are to contribute to the USAID economic growth objective aimed to a) increase incomes of smallholder farmers in Upper Egypt through sustainably intensifying agricultural productivity, b) increasing the efficiency of post-harvest processes, c) improving the marketing of these goods, and improving the nutritional status of women and children. The ARDII Project focuses on bringing targeted beneficiaries into environmentally appropriate high value commercial horticulture value chains. At the same time, work has been undertaken to address complementary, cross-cutting sector support such as extension services, irrigation infrastructure (delivery), irrigation efficiency, infrastructure and research that affect the sector generally and contribute to improving value chains specifically. As a result of the five-year project interventions, smallholder beneficiaries should exhibit significantly higher sustained incomes in comparison to the baseline data of farmers who grow more traditional, natural resource exploitive, crops.
The Services to Improve Performance Management, Enhance Learning and Evaluation (SIMPLE) Project of the QED Group, LLC is seeking to engage the services of a local Egyptian consultant specialized in monitoring and evaluating agriculture, agribusiness agricultural school training projects to serve on an evaluation team responsible for the design and implementation of an end-of-term performance evaluation of USAID/Egypt’s Agribusiness for Rural Development and Increasing Incomes (ARDII) project. The consultant will report to the Evaluation Team Leader, the SIMPLE Evaluation Manager and the SIMPLE Senior Evaluation Specialist.
The consultant will work with a team of subject matter experts to collaborate on the design and implementation of a mixed methods performance evaluation involving a desk review of debriefing materials, the development of quantitative and qualitative data collection tools, the analysis of both primary and secondary quantitative and qualitative data, preliminary report writing and preparation of oral debrief presentation materials. S/he will ensure that internationally recognized methodological and quality assurance best practices are applied throughout the evaluation process.
The evaluation is expected to take place from second half of January 2018 through mid-April 2018 with an estimated level of effort of up to 45 work days based on a six-day work week in Egypt.
- Conduct a desk review and produce a preliminary table of findings based on a comprehensive review of project-related debriefing materials and secondary data.
- Contribute to the development of a detailed work plan, site visit schedule, data analysis plan and quality assurance plan for USAID approval prior to conducting fieldwork.
- Conduct data collection activities as per the USAID approved data collection tools, work plan, data analysis plan and quality assurance plan.
- Participate in the detailed analysis of primary and secondary qualitative information and quantitative data collected in order to respond to the evaluation questions.
- Contribute in the report writing and preparation of presentation materials that summarize the salient findings, conclusions and actionable recommendations to USAID and other relevant stakeholders within the approved timeline.
How to Apply
- Master’s degree in agricultural economics, agronomy or related field.
- 10 years demonstrated experience designing and implementing evaluations in agriculture, agribusiness, agricultural value-chains, horticultural export promotion, agricultural extension or related field.
- Demonstrated experience developing structured key informant interview protocols, group discussion protocols and paper and pencil/on-line survey instruments.
- Demonstrated experience writing technical reports and producing PowerPoint presentations.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively in different Egyptian cultural situations; e.g. government, agricultural suppliers, agribusiness/export firms, students attending agricultural schools and smallholder farmers.
- Demonstrated experience evaluating USAID projects.
- High proficiency in reading and speaking in English is required; fluency preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in technical writing of evaluation reports in English is highly desirable.
- Ability to be flexible and work well under pressure and to effectively manage competing priorities in a fast-paced team environment.
It is requested that qualified candidates submit their resumes and completed USAID 1420 Biographical Data Forms through the QED website: https://careers-qedgroupllc.icims.com/jobs
Only candidates who have been short listed will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
About the Organization
The QED Group, LLC, is a full-service international consulting firm committed to solving complex global challenges through innovative solutions. We are determined to provide all our clients with best-value services so they increase their efficiency, learning capacity, and accountability to the public in an ever more complex and interconnected world. Through Monitoring and Evaluation and Knowledge Management practice areas, QED is working to maximize our clients' return on investment through accountability, continuous learning, and sound management.