The Pragma Corporation seeks a short-term Agribusiness R&D Consultant from August to October 2020 for the USAID-funded Feed-the-Future West Africa Trade and Investment Activity (Trade Hub) Project. The R&D component of the Trade Hub’s co-investment fund is targeted to Nigeria only and aims to co-invest in proven technologies and innovations on a grant matching principle with local/international public and private sector actors, and research institutions that promote smallholder farmer productivity and incomes. This position will support the R&D and Technical Directors in building partnerships with potential companies, research institutions and other organizations to vet and apply for a co-investment grant. The position will also ensure that all project activities in Nigeria meet and exceed client expectations and are designed and implemented for maximum impact and reach.
Due to current COVID-19 travel restrictions, we encourage applications from those currently based in Nigeria.
The Agribusiness R&D Consultant will have principal responsibility for:
- Identifying strategic partnership opportunities in close coordination with the R&D Director to develop and expand partnerships pipeline for the Trade Hub co-investment grants.
- Maintaining the CRM system (Smartsheets) to track the pipeline, log discussions and update with notes from meetings with potential R&D applicants.
- Preparing presentations for client, PPP Manager, head office and other potential stakeholders.
- Developing comprehensive mappings of key actors already operating or in the process of developing solutions related to targeted agricultural value chains to enhance the quality of the existing pipeline.
- Facilitating the registration and application process with potential R&D applicants on the Smart grants platform
- Collecting and reviewing information from potential co-investment grantees to ensure strategic fit, market potential and cost-sharing ability;
- Completing preliminary analysis and investment memos for projects and partners and provide recommendations for shortlisting.
- Managing and participating in internal risk reviews and presentations, conducting proposal meetings, assigning tasks and setting deadlines, tracking progress, communicating information from partners and internal project departments, and ensuring that project’s technical and contractual requirements and deadlines are met.
- Assisting the R&D and Technical Director rollout of new R&D grant co-investment activities and Project reporting.
- Providing inputs for project annual work plans in accordance with the Trade Hub scope.
Required Skills and Qualifications
· Master’s degree in agronomy or related field,
- Minimum of three (3) years of work experience, preferably in the agriculture sector. Experience in grants management desired.
- Prior farming, agricultural input or logistics experience is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with institutional and private sector partners and stakeholders, including research institutions.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills required, including the ability to manage clients and prepare presentations for clients and partners.
- Experience preparing quality presentations
- Experience working on USAID programs preferred
- Experience managing a project with a high volume of grants desired.
- Problem-solving, stress management, and time management skills are required
- Proficient at using Microsoft office software: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. Prior experience using web-based applications and advanced presentations tools such as Prezi and others, preferred.
- Fluency in one or more of the local languages used in Nigeria is preferred
About the Organization
The Pragma Corporation is an international development firm headquartered in the Washington DC area. With more than a quarter century of development experience worldwide, involving more than 600 projects, we provide expert technical and management consulting services to such donor organizations as the United States Agency for International Development, the Asian Development Bank and the World Bank. Our areas of specialization include Small and Medium Enterprise Development; Accounting Reform, Training, and Examination; Regulatory Reform and Business Environment Improvement; Agribusiness Development; Capital and Financial Market Development; WTO Accession; Customs Reform and Cross-Border Trade; and Regional Trade Promotion.