Agricultural Extension Specialist (m/f) SOUTH SUDAN RURAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
Job ID 14216
GIZ International Services was asked by the EU to implement the South Sudan Rural Development Programme (SORUDEV). Rural development, agriculture and food security is one of the chosen focal sectors for the European Union’s aid and agriculture is included as one of six priority expenditure areas by the Government of South Sudan.
The objective of the SORUDEV programme is to contribute to increased food security, reduced vulnerability and enhanced livelihoods of rural households in South Sudan. The programme purpose is to increase agricultural production and income of smallholder farmers in the States of Western Bahr El Ghazal, Northern Bahr El Ghazal, Warrap and Lakes.
The expected results of the SORUDEV Rural Smallholder Component are:
- Increased smallholders’ skills, knowledge and experience in crop and livestock production and marketing through improved extension services in selected project areas.
- Increased land cultivation using among other techniques animal traction and zero tillage as a means of increasing the surface area cultivated by smallholders.
- Improvement of agricultural extension services that reaches an increasing number of smallholders through (a) enhanced extension services through non-governmental organisations (b) Improvement of the monitoring and coordination role of State Extension Services
You are member of a team of national and international experts and reporting to the Team Leader. You are in charge of assisting the partner organization in developing and implementing state-of-art extension methods for small holder farmers.
- University degree in agriculture, rural development, agricultural economics, social sciences, economics or other relevant disciplines
- A minimum of 7 years of working experience in food security and/or rural development, relevant to agricultural extension practices, preferably in Sub Sahara Africa
- Experience in agricultural extension with special focus on livestock management and agricultural production practices; experience in Training of Trainers (ToT).
- Proven experience in working with multiple stakeholders (NGOs, private sector, government organizations) including ministries in developing countries
- Excellent communication skills in English and the ability to conduct and facilitate training and extension sessions at different levels
- High capacity for tolerance and the ability to cope with demanding environments;
Place of duty and duration of project
Place of duty will be one of the four state capitals (exact location yet to be decided on); the project will probably start in July 2013, duration of project will be 36 months
21st May 2013
Emails from our online-recruiting system may be sent to the spam folder by some providers.
Please check your Spam filter settings and look through your Junk folder after sending your job application.
+49 6196 79 1410