The USAID Enabling Environment for Food Security (USAID-EEFS) project, implemented by Fintrac, is seeking one or two consultants for an upcoming short-term assignment to conduct a desk-based study and create a guidance document on the “Preconditions for Food Traceability Systems in Developing Countries”.
Overview of the Assignment
The total level of effort for this desk-based assignment is approximately 50 days for one or two consultants (travel will not be required) over an approximately 13-week period (start date is as soon as possible). The ideal candidate(s) will be an agricultural economist or agribusiness professional with traceability systems experience and extensive research/writing experience.
The final deliverable will be a guide that will provide decision makers with the following:
- A comprehensive set of preconditions in the enabling environment that should be present to support success of the identified traceability systems across different food value chains in varied contexts.
- Guidelines for assessment: An overview of how to assess whether each precondition is in place and to what degree.
The primary responsibilities of the consultant are to:
- Conduct literature review to identify and describe different types of traceability systems for different users/operators, and different objectives.
- Develop guidance document: Provide a comprehensive set of pre-conditions identified in the literature review that supports successful traceability systems for different users and objectives.
- Support knowledge sharing: Write an article to be distributed via an online KM platform.
The minimum qualifications for the consultant are:
- Master’s degree (or higher) in Agriculture, Business, Economics, or a related field required.
- Minimum seven (7) years of relevant experience (agricultural/food sector research, market research, digital technologies, value chain analysis, commercial food sector experience, etc.).
- Experience researching food systems, ideally related to digital technologies and knowledge of food traceability systems.
- Excellent desk based research and writing skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal, written, and verbal communications.
- English fluency required.
Interested applicants should submit a CV and cover letter by April 10, 2020. Only fully qualified candidates will be contacted.
About the Organization
Fintrac, a woman owned and US-based consulting company, develops agricultural solutions to end hunger and poverty. For 30 years, we have worked with local and global partners to increase production, improve postharvest handling, add value, and develop markets and competitive value chains for the world’s most vulnerable farmers and communities.
At Fintrac, our employees are our greatest asset. We are always looking for talented, innovative individuals to join our global team and help us achieve our mission of alleviating poverty through agriculture. We offer competitive pay, outstanding benefits, a great work environment, and professional growth opportunities.
Fintrac is an equal opportunity employer.