Chemonics seeks a short-term, minor-employment (geringfügige Beschäftigung) translator to support the ongoing Injaz project that is working to provide safe, inclusive, and high-quality learning opportunities to children in Syria. The translator will report directly to the Injaz monitoring and evaluation manager and will translate administrative and technical project materials. Based in Berlin, Germany, the position will not require any travel to Syria. This minor-employment (geringfügige Beschäftigung) is available immediately and is expected to last through February 15, 2019. The employee may only work up to 45 hours/month and compensation is 10€/hour. We are looking for people who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Translate internal and external documents from Arabic to English and English to Arabic
- Review translations, including from sources outside the project team, to ensure that their meaning is accurate, their grammar is correct, and their syntax is clear
- Support project personnel in translating correspondence
- Two years of translating experience in positions with increasing responsibility
- Skills in word processing and an ability to use computer spreadsheets effectively
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Proficiency in entering data into databases and Microsoft Office
- Experience with report writing and editing
- Ability to submit work on time under demanding deadlines
- Ability to communicate with team members and diverse stakeholders
- Documentation confirming ability to work legally in Berlin
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in spoken and written Arabic and English required
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and “Arabic-English Translator” in the subject line to RecruitmentInjaz@chemonics.com by October 19, 2018. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.