JOB TIT LE: Area Manager
LOCATION: Based in Mathiang, Longechuk County, Upper Nile
REPORTS TO: Country Director – South Sudan
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
The Area Manager is responsible for managing RI’s 4 field offices in Upper Nile – which include Longechuk, Nasir, Ulang and Maiwut where RI is implementing integrated WASH, Health and Nutrition Programs funded by OFDA, UNICEF and WFP.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Closely coordinate with the senior management team based in Juba ensuring regular information flows
- Oversee RI’s programs in Longechuk, Nasir, Ulang and Maiwut, providing oversight throughout project mobilization, implementation, and close-down
- Assess progress of implementation of activities against plans on monthly basis, and document corrective measures as and when required.
- Maintain clear overview of the security, political and legal context.
- Represent RI in inter agencies meetings at the field level
- Foster relationships with government authorities and other relevant stakeholders in the area of operation through frequent visits to projects sites, meetings with local authorities, and engagement with coordination bodies
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Supervise and orient new team members as necessary.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Contribute to country team building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision making processes.
- Manage project staff and ensure compliance with donor requirements and staff policy.
- Ensure that all team staff understand and are able to perform their roles in humanitarian program.
- Manage team, define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly.
- Ensure the recruitment, training, and promotion of staff as appropriate and ensure availability of appropriate professional development opportunities for staff.
- Document performance that is less than satisfactory, with appropriate performance improvements/ work plans.
Operations & Safety
- Provide leadership in overseeing of logistics and operation departments (including fleet management, procurement, HR/administration, finance) and general office services
- Ensure adherence to RI policies, procedures, guidelines, systems and standard practices
- Ensure a safe and secure environment for RI staff, beneficiaries and assets by ensuring the local security procedures are up to date and SOPs are followed in line with the RI policies
- Line manage area support and program staff (Operations Team, Program Leads, HR) ensuring inter-department co-ordination
- Manage, mentor and motivate the staff in the field to undertake their roles and responsibilities effectively
- Oversee all operations staff, optimally manage the field office, guest houses, vehicles and other assets
- Ensure all staff in the area of operations adheres to the safety and security guidelines
- Support the HR team to develop, maintain and implement the HR strategy
- Follow RI’s standards and procedures in terms of supervision, recruitment and evaluation of staff under his/her supervision
Qualifications and Requirements:
Proven experience in area management, operations, program implementation (preferably health and nutrition programs), and field coordination. Financial, HR and administration management experience with extensive knowledge of budget development/management and finance documentation, tracking and archiving.
- Candidates with a public health background with experience in area program management will have an added advantage
- Experience with OFDA, UNICEF and WFP donor rules and regulations will be an added advantage.
- This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment. Creativity, flexibility, strong work ethic and a sense of humor are highly valued.
- Masters degree in Public Health or Bachelor’s degree with commensurate work experience; technical experience in health and nutrition programing , strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience in area program management in conflict settings.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently;
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
About the Organization
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.