At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2015, CARE worked in 95 countries and reached 65 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
CARE is seeking an Area Manager for CARE’s Partnership Program based in Beirut, Lebanon, with an emphasis on fulfilling CARE’s humanitarian mandate in line with CARE International Humanitarian strategy and CARE’s global vision and mission.
The Area Manager directly oversees program and program support teams, ensuring relevant, impactful, accountable and principled programming that addresses the needs of vulnerable communities. S/he will, as part of the CARE’s Senior Management Team, contribute to the development, implementation, and scaling up of CARE’s humanitarian and resilience strategy. The Partnership Program works with national implementing partners. Monitoring is done through a third party and consultants contracted in the field.
The Area Manager strives for impact that benefits women and girls, addresses injustice and discrimination, and enhances the lives of vulnerable communities. S/he will ensure that our approaches are based on sound contextual and needs analyses, a meaningful integration of gender in emergencies into the program, in coordination with technical teams and in collaboration with other area directors.
- Program Strategy
- Program implementation, impact and relevance
- Access & Risk Management
- People Management
- External Relations, Partnerships and Advocacy
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- At least 3 years in senior management and leadership positions in humanitarian and development programs. The position requires a person with strong background and extensive experience in emergency humanitarian programming in order to lead a scale up of CARE ‘s programs as required
- Demonstrated experience in leading strategic and operational planning in conflict context
- Experience in successfully managing institutional partnerships with national and international NGOs
- Experience in remote management in complex environment
- Extensive conceptual skills including development of viable program strategies in complex/conflict setting, program design (including proposal development), implementation, monitoring and evaluation as well as risk management
- Ability to manage large complex budgets, donor compliance and reporting
- Strong experience with humanitarian coordination mechanisms, experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with donors, UN and relevant counterparts, and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated leadership interpersonal and management skills in a very complex setting, including remote management
- Demonstrated cross cultural communication and teamwork skills
- Ability and interest to mentor, coach and develop staff and to establish a learning culture
- Demonstrated use of positive coping strategies in stressful work environments
- Relevant certification in program management (e.g. PMD Pro) desired
About the Organization
CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. We place special focus on working alongside poor women because, equipped with the proper resources, women have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty. Women are at the heart of CARE's community-based efforts to improve basic education, prevent the spread of disease, increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity and protect natural resources. CARE also delivers emergency aid to survivors of war and natural disasters, and helps people rebuild their lives.
Our diversity is our strength; we encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences, particularly women, to apply.
CARE USA is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE's career website at any time.